Sold a car, can I cancel my registration and get some of my money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyermullet

This is part III in my series of asking question about the Texas vehicle buying and selling process.

I sold a car friday, I already went on the state website and filed the form to notify that the vehicle has been sold. I kept my license plates, is their anyway I can cancel those and get some of my registration money back? In Indiana I could cancel my registration and I would receive a prorated amount back or I could transfer them to another vehicle to save on fees.

I read the website and was not able to find anything about this.

In CT you can't get your money back. Idk about other states.

I've never heard of anyone doing that. Might be worth a phone call to a sub court house to find out for sure.

You can do it in missouri . Sell the car and turn in your plates to DMV and they send you a check

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Um...no you can't gt your money back whether you turn the plates in or not. Yes, I live in Texas.;)

plates are actually suppose to stay with the vehicle, thats why our junk yards have cars with plates still on them.

plates are actually suppose to stay with the vehicle, thats why our junk yards have cars with plates still on them.

Not any more. The reason for this is to keep unregistered uninsured vehicles from being on the road with illegals that will just disappear the second they get into an accident.;)

Not any more. The reason for this is to keep unregistered uninsured vehicles from being on the road with illegals that will just disappear the second they get into an accident.;)

good to know, i just read that on the dmv site, you can also remove the reg sticker from the windshield too.

You can get your money back if the vehicle was plated as an Antique Vehicle, which is a 5 year tag for cars 25 years and older. Nothing for the regular 1 year registration however.

dumb teen response "you mad bro"??

Not what I ment at all David. Texas made it a requirement to remove current plates so an uninsured vehicle isn't on the road and can't be driven until it's registered again, which a non US or Texas resident isn't able to do.;)

Not what I ment at all David. Texas made it a requirement to remove current plates so an uninsured vehicle isn't on the road and can't be driven until it's registered again, which a non US or Texas resident isn't able to do.;)

got
we have to return the plates within a few days too

Status
Not open for further replies.