Buying a car in Texas from a private party

dyermullet

Guys I need help with how to purchase a vehicle from a private party in Texas.

I tried to buy a suburban Friday from an ad on craiglist. The truck was 5 minutes away so I went over to look at it. The seller had a title in his name everything looked good, but he said he did not have the "other form" that he has to fillout so i can transfer the title. His printer is out of ink so he can't print it off, we went to two used car lots during the test drive and they said their "forms" had their business name on them or else they would have given him a copy.

Bottom line he refused to sell me the truck without this form. So I went home to go on the state website and try to find this mystery form. I ate lunch first and by the time I called him back someone else was testing drive the truck and bought it. I am assuming the other buyer showed up with the form.

The only thing I can find is Application for Texas Certificate of Title form has areas that have to be filled out by the seller. Is this what we were missing? The DMV website it very vague on the process.

Also can someone walk me though the process and everything I need to purchase a vehicle. I have bought 30+ vehicle in my life but I just recently moved to Texas. In Indiana both the buyer and seller would fill out the title and both sign it. End of story. The buyer takes that document in and gets a new title. No other forms but the title itself. Also from looking at the Texas title their was no blank for purchase price, I guess that is taken care of for the Application for Texas Certificate of Title since it has a blank for purchase price.

I guess I am going to take a print copy of this form with me next time I go to buy a vehicle. What else do I need?

Scott

Scott,

The application for Texas Title is the one and only one you will need. Too bad to hear you lost out on the truck.

Well just live and learn. It is more disappointing that I read the dmv website months ago and it really isn't specific about the application.

What do people do when the seller didn't fill out the form?

I don't know what someone would do if they didn't have the signed Application for Texas Title form. I have always printed one out or the seller had one. The tax office won't change the name on the title without it, but if you live out of state it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the answers.

I think I will print off extra copys and put them with my car titles that way I will have it when I go to sell one.

All the dmv needs is a signed receipt from the buyer, i have purchased over 20 cars since 2000 and only had that form filled out by the seller once. You will need to fill out the form to get title transferred but the seller does not have to sign it as long as you have a signed receipt that has the same name as title.
There is no reason why that seller should not have sold you that truck, even if you had one of those forms filled out it still does not mean you will get it titled to take him off the liability of it. Your best option when selling a car is to get a signed receipt with the buyers info then tear off the very top portion of the title and go to the website listed on that portion and pay the couple bucks to submit new owner info.

I won't sell a car anymore without going (with the buyer) to the tax office and get the title transferred. If you had time to stop at a few car lots you should of had the time to go to the tax office? yes / no?

It sounds like the seller didn't know either?

It was a holiday and nothing was open.

Again live and learn situation. It was a learning experience, in other states you just sign the title and go on your way. No other forms and other BS to deal with. And the website is clear as mud about the process.

Now I know what I need and I won't miss out on the next one because of the title application.