Soft Rear Brake Shoes

musclecar neal

Engine Builder
I need a local source for soft rear shoes. Has anyone bought them from a local parts store? Any part numbers or brands?

Thanks

Neal

Neal, just purchase "organic" brake shoes. Organic is soft. I got a set of Bendix brand at my local discount auto parts. They cost me $26 for the set. ;)

I was all over today trying to find organic pads. But did not go to Discount. Found some nice pads but all were way too hard. John, How much boost can you hold with the pads you have?

Neal

He'd be lucky to hold 2 lbs with those crappy vacuum brakes :rolleyes: Check out the 2.0 60fts, that's not even a lb. Drove it home though ;)

I'm just running street tires so I don't need to hold any boost. To make sure you can hold boost, no matter what kind of system you have, you'll need organic shoes properly adjusted with s-10 wheel cylinders. Using the E-brake is also helpful.

I have the s-10 wheel cylinders and can't seem to hold more than about 3 or 4 psi. I have vacuum brakes too. Oh I forgot , John ,thanks for the fast shipping on the coil.

Neal

you have enough parts on that thing to run 9's.....

why not do it right and get a trans brake?

(otherwise you will get beat by a lot of folks with less grunt....)

doesn't your sig say "bat brake" WTF....or maybe you are dreaming?

I have a Bat Brake sitting here but want to build a new trans with some billet parts to keep it alive. Still need some cash. Once that bat brake is in the new trans, I will have to cage the car and get a trans shield. Already have a NHRA license. Then we can run some big numbers. Untill then I still want to play a little.

Neal

what year s-10 wheel cylinders are you using and how about the soft brake shoes, do you just ask for organic brake shoes?
thanks

I recently added soft rear shoes and I don't like them. I don't think they improved much in my opinion. I also have the s-10 cylinders.

Dannyo

I went to the local Autozone and bought 2 sets of the cheap (about 12 bucks a set) brake shoes. I used the long shoes out of both sets and put all four on. You get several more square inches of holding power. The real key to sucess is the adjustment. I adjust mine very often because it seems the automatic adjusters don't keep up. I can hold at least 8 psi boost with Nittos. Stock rear cylinders.

I certainly agree on the adjustment comment. Make sure your adjusters are working freely and be sure they are on the correct side of the car. They are left and right, of course. Backing up and hitting the brakes firmly should adjust your brakes tight to the drum.

I have vacuum brakes, of course, and have great confidence in my braking. I use the $40 performance front pads from Autozone. Pulls the car down from speed very well. I used to be laxidasical about the type of shoes I would use. Usually just went for the cheapest but I have learned that the hi-po shoes and pads work much better. I also installed the Russell braided lines.............$72 for full set. One of these days I'll install the S10 wheel cylinders. ;)