So, what should I pay for a paint job?

buickrob

I know this can start a huge debate but......

I'm thinking about getting my GN painted. I have three rust spots each about the size of a half dollar. 1 on the passenger door and one behind each rear wheel. There are three very minor dings in the driver door, not deep and not much bigger than a quarter. Cracks above the C pillars. I'd want that stuff repaired too.

Not looking for a cheapy job, I'd like something decent. There is no paint checking, the car was painted once before I ever got it. The paint that is on there is just looking old and I'd like to have the body work done just to make her nice.

What do you think a fair price range is?

depends on the job you want...how much work will you do? If the car is black it will cost a little more as the body work must be perfect. Will you want all of the trim off and the windows and the weatherstrip and the doors removed? Or do you want it masked and shot after, of course, the body work?

I'd say $3k on the low end and upwards of $6-7k for a good job. I was quoted $10k for show/museum quality work. It will depend on if you want to show the car or jsut drive it.

There's lots of questions you need to answer before you get a better answer.

Personally, I pull the interior, weatherstrip and all the trim including bumpers, bezels, etc. The more you do for the shop the more you'll save.

depends on the job you want...how much work will you do? If the car is black it will cost a little more as the body work must be perfect. Will you want all of the trim off and the windows and the weatherstrip and the doors removed? Or do you want it masked and shot after, of course, the body work?

I'd say $3k on the low end and upwards of $6-7k for a good job. I was quoted $10k for show/museum quality work. It will depend on if you want to show the car or jsut drive it.

Personally, I pull the interior, weatherstrip and all the trim including bumpers, bezels, etc. The more you do for the shop the more you'll save.

X2

I gutted my car and then had it media blasted.I pulled glass and all panels.If you have a body shop strip all panels to metal get ready to pay. The worst thing about these fine cars is if you see a little rust get ready to see alot more when you start stripping it. I thought my car was clean untill I pulled it apart.I had a spot of rust on my driver rocker next thing i know i was replacing the rocker. $7,000 would be a nice job but any panel replacement will add up quick. Gbody cars are to hard to estimate for paint untill they are stripped. good luck

Oh man!!!! I should just sell my car and put the $7k to a lower mileage better condition GN or T!!!!!

read this lol, you haven't said how nice you want it, driver, show, etc and how much you are willing to do on it yourself. Location has a lot to do with it as well. You get what you pay for man, cheap price will be cheap work and paint. If you want it show quality expect to pay for it. Painting a car right is a lot of work. Untill you have done it you have NO idea! Daniel Ray

I said I wanted something decent, not an el cheapo. Certainly not a show paint job, my car will never be a great show car. Just something good that would last even though my car barely goes outside much.

I said I wanted something decent, not an el cheapo. Certainly not a show paint job, my car will never be a great show car. Just something good that would last even though my car barely goes outside much.

I think you're looking at a $3,500 paint job. Base/clear, some body work, mask the jams.