So, what rock did Barry Sanders crawl from under???

Hey guy's, I wass like evryone else when he left football (shocked). But I happened to work with his older brother William, and I have had several talks with him about Barry and the family, and it seems to me that his dad had alot to do with him leaving the game.

First off I would like to say it was never about the money he has invested very well and dosen't really care about wanting more off it.
His real main goal was to be able to buy a new house for his parents and to make sure they are well off, which he has done servants, grounds keepers and all. I have seen the PICS of there house and it is unreal.

Next if you really knew how his Dad is with him it might make more since why he left the game, it might also make you upset!

His Dad is a HUGH Jim Brown fan, all Barry has ever heard from his father is, now matter how good you are, or think you are, you will never be even close to Jim Brown ever. That has came straight from his brother. So I know for a fact that Barry belives his Dad and he dosen't think he was that good.
Even talking with his brother about this I would tell him he was crazy, he was great.but he would defeand the fact that Jim Brown was the best because there Dad say's so.

Third of all when he left the game Barry was closeing in on alot of records that he would of broken if he stayed. I know for a fact that there was a stat or record that he had broke that Jim Brown owend (I don't remember which one though) and his Dad wouldn't even talk to him afterwards.
So I know there was alot of preasure on Barry if he would of stayed in the game

I know what alot of people are thinking about this, So what if his Dad like someone else its his live right. Thats what I said to William also. It was simply put you don't go against there Dad, and there is alot of love for there parents no doubt about that at all.

Now I am not saying buy all means that his Dad made him retire, I am just saying that I think there was alot of preasure about the records that would have fallen if he had stayed. Also I know he was fed up with being in Detroit and I think he saw a way out by using them a the scape goats to leave.

I also know that several teams had contacted him after he left to come back KC included since that is where I am from I would of loved to see that. But his brother laughed at me (alot by the way) and told me that KC would off ruined him and his career. so would alot of other teams. I am not sure where that came from but I think it was told to him buy his Dad. Since every move Barry makes he goes to his Dad first to talk to him about it.

And on the why is he talking now in public Lets not forget that he in up for the HALL this year. Has to smooth things over a little bit to get it on year one.

That's a pretty interesting story. If it is true and the reason he left, his dad's an a_sshole. Being that talented and having a parent worry about his favorite backs' record and not his own son :confused: :confused: :confused:

It was hard to be a Lions fan when Barry played, but at least we got to watch him. PB (post Barry) has really sucked. The team is **** and the Ford's are the worst owners ever. I have a friend who had a thought the Ford's kept the Lions crappy as a tax write off. Now Ford doesn't need the help, they're losing plenty of money the old fashion way so why does the front office keep making such bad choices.

Barry quit during the Bobby Ross era, even Bobby hated it so much he left in the middle of the season. Bobby was no saint and even chastised Barry in a team meeting. That was the begining of the end, if I saw Bobby Ross on the street tommorrow I would kick him in the junk for that move.

I watched a short piece on ESPN that made Barrys father out to be quite the egotistical-dictator type of Dad so his fingers in the early retirement wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Regardless it just sickens me to watch one horrible franchise after another turn it around and be contenders while we get to muddle through another under 500 season.:mad:

Now my day is ruined thinking about the (*&%%$)(&% Lions.:mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

I think barry was just tired of having an battered body everyday and he called it quits. He's not gonna have serious problem like many players will cause he shut it down when he was still young.

How can vick and to a greater degree, donte hall, even be mentioned in the same breath as barry. You have to put in time and earn your stripes first. Barry was one of the most electric players i ever saw. Ther were alot of other guys like barry that i saw play, some just didn't put of the numbers but could change the face of a game, randall cuningham, bo jackson, tony Dorsett, deion sanders, walter payton, the rocket (college). Cunningham paved the way for vick, mcnair, mcnabb. randall had it all too, but maybe if he played WR instead of QB he might have been one of the all time best.

The future biggest star to keep your eye on: Steve breaston!!! This kid is amazing. He's gonna be a junior or a redshirt sophmore at michigan next year. He showed this year that he is one of the most explosive athletes in college football. I had to pleasure and displeasure to see him play football in highschool. He ripped my alma matter (#22 ranked pittsburgh central catholic-dan marino) apart in the WPIAL cahmpionships. He has it all. I think he is larry fitzgerld with more speed and moves. Even maybe more so he a 2003 edition of deion sanders/rocket ismail/desmond howard all in one.

As far as the way his Dad is it was always said that he was very strict with all the kids, even the Mom was because it was the way the Dad said it should be.

I do remember watching a game where his dad was on the side lines watching the game and they interveiwed him about Barry and his career and all he talked about was his son being good but not as good as Jim Brown. He was also wearing a Jim Brown hat

I do know one thing Wlliam looks just like Barry but a little bigger, and his wife makes the best oatmeal cookies ever!

Oh ya I work for Ford we build the Trucks here in KC and Barry got William the job here

what do records really mean thou? To a great degree is a measure of how good a player was but it never tells the true story. Mickey mantle was the greatest baseball player ever regardless of any records barry bonds owns, same goes with mario lemieux compared to wayne gretsky. emmit smith showed longevity and endurance but anyone who has seen a Lions or cowboys game can tell that barry is the better of the two. Emmit on talent alone i wouldn't even have in the top 5. Most talented RB's ever IMO: barry, OJ, gayle sayers, jim brown and tony dorsett. Best results with less talent: emmit, franco harris, earl campbell, thurman thomas, the bus.

Originally posted by Robes87GN
He was a damn exciting player. You have to admit, Hall and Vick are completely changing the league. Now you actually HAVE to worry about the quarterback scrambling for more than 2 yards and having a kick return be brought back big yards or for a touchdown. I am a tried and true Illinois fan and 49ers fan. The Niners were never known for their running game, but Jerry Rice... as Will Ferrell once said "You my boy, Blue". Even though he went to the Raiders, I still cheer him. IMO he is the best receiver ever, and never caused problems (moss) and rarely missed a game, and never used drugs. Role model and an awesome player all wrapped up in one.

Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver to ever play the game and likely will remain so for a loooong time. Nobody can match that man's work ethic and dedication.

Originally posted by jmidolo
That's a pretty interesting story. If it is true and the reason he left, his dad's an a_sshole. Being that talented and having a parent worry about his favorite backs' record and not his own son :confused: :confused: :confused:

That entire story was on ESPN at one time or another. I don't think it had as much to do with his dad as it did with being fed up with the Lions but the only one that really knows is Barry.

Emmitt has way more heart than Barry. I am not knocking Barry but if you followed both teams through those times then you can't argue it. Emmitt has more heart than MOST NFL players...all you need to know this is to have watched the game with the Giants when Emmitt had a separated shoulder and continued to hit the line....run up the middle and drive that ball right down their throat all with mind numbing pain.

The Cowboys have sucked for YEARS....just like the Lions and Emmitt still played. Maybe he shouldn't have but he still has the mind and the heart of a warrior. Barry might have been smarter to get out but at least in my mind very few players can match the heart that Emmitt showed over the years.

Originally posted by 88 CuttyClassic
what do records really mean thou? To a great degree is a measure of how good a player was but it never tells the true story. Mickey mantle was the greatest baseball player ever regardless of any records barry bonds owns, same goes with mario lemieux compared to wayne gretsky. emmit smith showed longevity and endurance but anyone who has seen a Lions or cowboys game can tell that barry is the better of the two. Emmit on talent alone i wouldn't even have in the top 5. Most talented RB's ever IMO: barry, OJ, gayle sayers, jim brown and tony dorsett. Best results with less talent: emmit, franco harris, earl campbell, thurman thomas, the bus.

Barry Bonds is a steroid abusing JERK. I hope they put him in jail....he doesn't belong in the record books.

I think barry was just tired of having an battered body everyday and he called it quits. He's not gonna have serious problem like many players will cause he shut it down when he was still young.

How can vick and to a greater degree, donte hall, even be mentioned in the same breath as barry. You have to put in time and earn your stripes first. Barry was one of the most electric players i ever saw. Ther were alot of other guys like barry that i saw play, some just didn't put of the numbers but could change the face of a game, randall cuningham, bo jackson, tony Dorsett, deion sanders, walter payton, the rocket (college). Cunningham paved the way for vick, mcnair, mcnabb. randall had it all too, but maybe if he played WR instead of QB he might have been one of the all time best.

The future biggest star to keep your eye on: Steve breaston!!! This kid is amazing. He's gonna be a junior or a redshirt sophmore at michigan next year. He showed this year that he is one of the most explosive athletes in college football. I had to pleasure and displeasure to see him play football in highschool. He ripped my alma matter (#22 ranked pittsburgh central catholic-dan marino) apart in the WPIAL cahmpionships. He has it all. I think he is larry fitzgerld with more speed and moves. Even maybe more so he a 2003 edition of deion sanders/rocket ismail/desmond howard all in one.

I agree....see if Michael Vick even is in the NFL 5 years from now. He isn't paving the way for anyone...Randall Cunningham was the first electrifying true running threat at the QB position that I recall. There might have been others but Randall was doing it when Vick was in daycare.

.......Never been but's what wrong with OK? Drew

It sucks!!!!! There is nothing to do around here except the track when its open but in the winter al you can do is go to a bar. The only thing i like about Oklahoma is of course OU football. Im just ready to live somewhere else ive been here all 21 years of my life and i hate it.

Vick is great, but if he dosen't learn that the LB's in the NFL are not the same as the little guys he played against in college his stint in the NFL will be short lived.

Emmit is a great back as well, and his drive and toughness can not be questioned. Barry's problem was the fact that he never said a word about all the BS going on in that orginization. If he was graced with same talent and coaching as Emmit, He would hold every record and no one would ever break them. i just feel blessed to have been able to watch the best ever.

Originally posted by BlownZ
Barry Bonds is a steroid abusing JERK. I hope they put him in jail....he doesn't belong in the record books.
trust me i know all about barry bonds, i work for the Pirates. I just didn't wanna comment and open a whole other can of worms, but i hate hime with every fiber in my body.

there is one cowboy that had more heart than emitt, Bill bates! that guy was a nut of special teams

Bonds is a total a**hole, but you can not overlook his achievements on the field. He is a tremendous player and the most feared hitter in the game by far.

trust me i know all about barry bonds, i work for the Pirates. I just didn't wanna comment and open a whole other can of worms, but i hate hime with every fiber in my body.

there is one cowboy that had more heart than emitt, Bill bates! that guy was a nut of special teams

Amen to that!!! That man was a lunatic...I would really really really hate to be the receiving back on kickoffs against the cowboys cause you just never know when that little freight train was going to nail you. :p

Originally posted by Chris Cornett
Bonds is a total a**hole, but you can not overlook his achievements on the field. He is a tremendous player and the most feared hitter in the game by far.

Yeah...aren't roids cool!

Emmit would be about 3-4 years away from Paytons record right now had he not played with the that dominating offensive line during the 90's. He's not in Payton's, Sanders, O.J.'s and numerous others class period. He is a ME ME ME ME ME player. With an average O-line he would have been an average back. He stuck around for the record ( cause he isn't productive) that he should be embarrassed to have taken from a truly classy player and person.

That is stupid. Yes he did have a great offensive line and yes he did play too long in my opinion but so did the greatest basketball player to EVER play the game....Michael Jordan.

A lot of great backs had great offensive lines.....deal with it. I agree that he wasn't as talented as Barry but he holds the record and Barry doesn't....so the rest is speculation for all of us armchair wannabes. We talk about it on a BB and he does it on the field. What are your credentials to criticize? Bo Jackson?

So BlownZ I need credentials to give an opinion on a message board and you and nobody else does. If you get that offended about me giving an opinion about a professional athlete, you really need to get a life. Your acting like I'm critisizing a family member. What are you doing sitting around in your #22 jersey playing fantasy football thinking you are actually Emmit's teammate and feeling the need to defend him. This is what message boards are for--debating, not getting all upset. RELAX

Vick looked pretty F'in good yesterday, alost 150 yards on like 10 carries....damn!