So I got bent over and I'm looking for suggestions...

lnkncontiverto

Feel my Pacifists-of-Fury
It is a long story, but for those of you with short attention spans (like myself) I'll summarize: I sold several parts through this board in the for sale section and shipped them out through a package courier that you've probably heard of. You've all probably used them, especially if your favorite color is brown :wink:. I ship the package, which ends up ~$10 more than I charged for shipping. I eat this cost and save $4 by insuring it for $200 instead of the $300 I should have. Big mistake, but I've come to terms with that.

Long story short, a week later, the tracking page lists the package as lost (the wording is something along the lines of "container arrived empty, merchandise lost, packaging discarded). WTF??! First off, why would anyone discard valuable evidence like that? Second, my packaging was top notch. Without going into details, I'm 100% confident that there is no way to accidentally lose all of the contents the way it was packaged.

Fast forward 2 months to yesterday. After all this time of having to constantly badger the privately owned franchise that I shipped it from (think "The ___ Store") for information and action, I finally get a check for $215.64. It was my fault that I took a gamble and insured it for less than its value. I understand. My problem; however, is that I originally paid $32.59 to ship it. Through the power of addition, my very minimum acceptable amount for 2 months of constant BS, not to mention souring my trading reputation here, calculated out to $232.59. They tell me I only get refunded what the franchise paid to have it shipped, because the franchise is "their customer". WTF??! I'm not???

The franchise owner has declined to help me further, and I can't blame him, the hassle seems insurmountable. I spent 3 hours since last night on the phone with a Taj Mahal-full of Indian customer service agents, supervisors, and managers who all gave me empty condolences for my inconvenience. One, I think, truly felt sorry for me and gave out a "secret" corporate phone number (this is unlisted and there is no record on the internet anywhere). This still gets me no help whatsoever, and I hung up offended by the way I was spoken to. She seemed pissed to have to talk to me, even though she introduced herself as "customer service". Let me take this moment to mention that I am never anything but pleasant on these calls because I know that blaming a CS agent for someone else's f-up is no way to make progress.

Both the standard and super-secret customer service hot-lines have gotten me no where. I tried looking up org-charts and contact info on google of some higher-ups to contact at the corporate office, but it hasn't gotten me to many names/addresses. Its not really about the money anymore, its the principle. I was treated like a scammer from day one, never consulted on the value of my parts, never informed about my claim, short changed, and ignored by a joke of a customer service department. Everyone has pointed to everyone else and said "I can't do anything, talk to them". This is not how a corporation should act. I shouldn't have to fight a global, multi-billion dollar mega-company for $16.95.

Personally, not only will I never ship a package through them, but when I buy anything in the future (especially on this board) I will request the seller uses an alternate courier, as well. I will pay more to ensure my package never gets covered in brown again. Anyone have ideas? Similar situations? Anyone here happen to be a CEO or SVP at UPS, perhaps? Thanks!

I know it sounds old fashioned but, maybe you should take the time to write a letter.... I had an issue with Bank of America (I know - not a shipper- but a big company nevertheless), I was not very happy with a situation so I sent a letter to the CEO...I figured that I'd never hear back but surprise of surprises, the CEO's "office" called me a few weeks later and fixed my issue on the spot.

I had another issue a couple of years later and wrote to the president's office. Again, perfect response, fixed my issue, no hassle.

Sometimes you need to get your message to the top... Because, frankly they're so insulated, that they never hear from people like us... "Customer Service" people are a bunch of what I call "script readers" with no ability to think past their scripts; never realizing that a couple of bucks in the customer's favor will go a long way to building a solid reputation with that company.

I know Bank of America has been taking a beating lately and has a bunch of bad loans out there but I am still a loyal customer because they listened to my petty gripes and took care of me. (Of course I had to go to the top but, at least it was handled)

Send out a letter. What do you have to loose but .44 cents and a few minutes to compose a letter? You never know, you might be surprised.

Good Luck.

Nonsense like that is why many of the "UPS STORE" franchises are closed. The 1 I made the mistake of using, is gone....Good riddence!

UPS is by far the very worst shipping company available. I only use the when I have to ship oversized packages becuase USPS charges a huge fee for oversized packages. If i do use UPS, I always make sure to insure it for well over what the package is worth. I bet I've had over 30 claims from UPS.

Otherwise I ship anything I can through USPS and not once have I had to file a claim. I bet I've shipped well over 1000 packages.

UPS is by far the very worst shipping company available. I only use the when I have to ship oversized packages becuase USPS charges a huge fee for oversized packages. If i do use UPS, I always make sure to insure it for well over what the package is worth. I bet I've had over 30 claims from UPS.

Otherwise I ship anything I can through USPS and not once have I had to file a claim. I bet I've shipped well over 1000 packages.

30 Claims??!! You must have the patience of a saint. I am ready to burn the store down after just one claim. May I ask, have they also stiffed you on the claim refund?

I've used FedEX since this whole fiasco began and I'm please with the price and speed. The Drop-off location is much more user-friendly also. I haven't had any claims with them. None whatsoever with USPS either.