So I drove an ls1......

slow87

And it's like driving a damn vtec camaro:eek: It was fast, but there is nowhere near the bottom end of lt1 or even tpi cars(or even buicks for that matter) Guess you just can't have it all

Originally posted by slow87
And it's like driving a damn vtec camaro:eek: It was fast, but there is nowhere near the bottom end of lt1 or even tpi cars(or even buicks for that matter) Guess you just can't have it all

Very true, Stock they have nothing on the LT1 with low end but after a decent amount of mods it helps out alot. Still I own a LS1 and have driven LT1's and I still take the LS1 anyday over the LT1.....

Have done this race with friends with Camaros many times and the LT1 cars get out front a little and by 60 mph, the race is over. The LS1 just has a much broader torque curve and flatout outruns the LT1 all day. I almost bought a 97 Z28 until I drove a 99 SS. Night & Day from a highway romp. I feel enough torque now in my GN.

What is the difference between the LT1 LS1 LT4 L88 and all the other Chevy numbers?

LS1 has simliar torque numbers to the LT1, however, the LS1s torque curve is extremly flat and makes the same torque alot sooner, with my LS1 B4C i kept up with a LT1 vette, untill i got into my rpms and then i took off bigtime

LT1s are pieces of junk, i have both an LT1 and an LS1

LT1 is the GM smallblock found in 93-97 F-bodies
LS1 was put in 98-02 F-bodies an also Corvettes(dont know which years, an dont really care:eek: )
LT4's were in C4 Vettes I *think*.
Dunno bout the L88 but I'd guess its an earlier engine found in Vettes.

LT1's were rated in the neighborhood of 270ish hp.
Stock LS1's are in the low 300 hp.

Someone who knows about the Vettes will chime in...HTH

LT1s (350ci, 5.7L) (considerd Gen 2 SBs) found in 92-96 Vettes (aluminum heads), 93-97 Fbodys (aluminum heads), (years?) Caprices, Roadmasters, Some Caddys (these were all cast iron head motors)
LT4s (350 ci, 5.7L) (gen 2) (aluminum heads) found in certian C4 Vettes (GS etc)
LT5 (all aluminum, 4 cam motor manufactured by mercury marine) found in ZR1 Vettes
LS1s (348ci, 5.7L)(gen 3) (all aluminum) found in 97-03 Vettes, 03 GTOs, 98-02 Fbodys
LS6s (348ci, 5.7L)(high performance gen 3)(all aluminum) found in ZO6 vettes
LS2s (6.0L) (upgraded LS series gen3) (all aluminum) in 04 Vettes and 04 GTOs

o and i forgot LS1s have about 350 hp not 300, they dyno out at around 300 rwhp stock, same motor is in the vettes as in f-bodys. at the time GM didnt want any other car to have the same hp rating as the vette, so even though its the same motor it makes 45 less hp in the fbodys:rolleyes:

I just test drove my first LS1 Firebird convertible. At the bottom of first gear it really jumped but from a slow roll it seemed kind of weak. The flat torque curve was deceptive, it never let up and just pulled and pulled. Deceptively fast but I thought 320 hp would be faster. I got in my barely modified Buick and it seemed like a rocket with all that bottom end torque.

Bottom end, my GN (some mods) has a lot more torque. However, my SS takes off once it gets into its power range. thats just the nature of the beast i guess. turbo vs NA.

I love em both :D
BOOSTD

Try a boosted LS1. I have been in a few and the power was absolutely insane. 8 psi from a twin turbo kit on a bone stock car had the car trapping in the mid/high 120s on pump gas. With some race gas, it was in the 130s. Turbo V6 vs NA & Turbo V6 vs Turbo V8 are night and day.

If my engine ever breaks in my GN, I'm going bigger cubes to a 4.1.

some of you guys were saying how the LS1 dosent have as much torque as an LT1

http://www.ericohlsen.com/FBODY/CamaroDyno.jpg

stock LS1, 300+ft lbs at 2300rpms, reaches max of 329@ 3600 and carries it through 4400

http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/lt1lt4.html

a LT1 has 340 max at 4000rpms

at max the LS1 is lacking just 10 ft lbs, but because the torque curve is so rediculously flat you dont notice the torque as much (look at the link). the LS1 has a longer stroke than the LT1 but makes the same rpms (and more) no problem

ps just trying to correct misconceptions about the LS1

I have probably raced more Z28s, SS's and TA'ss than are sold at some dealers. You can't have a plain looking GT and not have every one of them in the area pick a fight with you. If I could get past the looks of them and the damn hump on the floor, I would have definitely owned one. They are not fun to work on, but easy to make fast, handle like it's on rails, pull up top like something blew up in the trunk.

I just bought the GN because it's just a menacing looking car and is a classic in my mind. Everyone I work with thinks its a beautiful car and it takes them back to their highschool days. It's been harder to work on than my GT ever was, but for the set up it has, it runs stronger than I would have thought. Nothing beats the sound and feel of a turbo car.

Originally posted by Marc87GN
If I could get past the looks of them and the damn hump on the floor, I would have definitely owned one.

Are talking about the Camaro or Firebird? I like the Firebird a lot more than the Camaro myself.

BTW what is that weird hump on the passenger side floor anyway? Or were you talking about the size of the whole tunnel?

Your GT I assume was a Mustang, are they easy to work on?

Originally posted by BJM
Are talking about the Camaro or Firebird? I like the Firebird a lot more than the Camaro myself.

BTW what is that weird hump on the passenger side floor anyway? Or were you talking about the size of the whole tunnel?

Your GT I assume was a Mustang, are they easy to work on?

hump in the floor on pass side is for the cat

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I have probably raced more Z28s, SS's and TA'ss than are sold at some dealers. You can't have a plain looking GT and not have every one of them in the area pick a fight with you. If I could get past the looks of them and the damn hump on the floor, I would have definitely owned one. They are not fun to work on, but easy to make fast, handle like it's on rails, pull up top like something blew up in the trunk.

I just bought the GN because it's just a menacing looking car and is a classic in my mind. Everyone I work with thinks its a beautiful car and it takes them back to their highschool days. It's been harder to work on than my GT ever was, but for the set up it has, it runs stronger than I would have thought. Nothing beats the sound and feel of a turbo car.

What have you had to do on the buick that was so hard? The mod motor GTs are hard as hell to do much of anything on, my roomate has to drop the Kmember just to put headers on, now one gasket is leaking and you couldn't even dream of tightening anything down there. We just put a spec stage 3 and that wasn't bad, but it just seems like its a pain to do much else to it. I guess plugs are alright, with the coil on plug feature, but its just so cluttered under there.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
What have you had to do on the buick that was so hard? The mod motor GTs are hard as hell to do much of anything on, my roomate has to drop the Kmember just to put headers on, now one gasket is leaking and you couldn't even dream of tightening anything down there. We just put a spec stage 3 and that wasn't bad, but it just seems like its a pain to do much else to it. I guess plugs are alright, with the coil on plug feature, but its just so cluttered under there.

I agree 100% on the headers. I installed a tubular K -member and doing header gaskets was easy. I changed a head gasket on my GN and it was far from fun. If you have never done it, you are in for a treat the first time you do it. Doing cams would have been a nightmare, but I could run 10s on the stock cams all day and have 750 rpm idle.

I guess the problem is it's a pain working on a 17 year old car because things are much more fragile. On my GT, I never ran into stripped bolts, vacuum leaks, valve cover leaks or any of the silly things I ran into with the GN. By the time I had broke something, I had already seen 10s and several dozen 11 second passes.

I found some pictures

Attachments

• dscn2521.jpg
    dscn2521.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 138