So I drove an ls1......

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I agree 100% on the headers. I installed a tubular K -member and doing header gaskets was easy. I changed a head gasket on my GN and it was far from fun. If you have never done it, you are in for a treat the first time you do it. Doing cams would have been a nightmare, but I could run 10s on the stock cams all day and have 750 rpm idle.

I guess the problem is it's a pain working on a 17 year old car because things are much more fragile. On my GT, I never ran into stripped bolts, vacuum leaks, valve cover leaks or any of the silly things I ran into with the GN. By the time I had broke something, I had already seen 10s and several dozen 11 second passes.

wtf was so hard to to a headgasket on a gn? you gotta be kidding me dude, i have a hotair and there's a whole lot more to take off to pull the heads, and it was EASY...

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I agree 100% on the headers. I installed a tubular K -member and doing header gaskets was easy. I changed a head gasket on my GN and it was far from fun. If you have never done it, you are in for a treat the first time you do it. Doing cams would have been a nightmare, but I could run 10s on the stock cams all day and have 750 rpm idle.

I guess the problem is it's a pain working on a 17 year old car because things are much more fragile. On my GT, I never ran into stripped bolts, vacuum leaks, valve cover leaks or any of the silly things I ran into with the GN. By the time I had broke something, I had already seen 10s and several dozen 11 second passes.

Oh ok, yeah that makes sense the vacuum leaks and stripped bolts can kill ya on these cars. I've pulled the motor on my GN 3 times and pulled the drivers head once, and the tranny more than a few times as well. The passengerside head would be a pain but the drivers wasn't bad, i had to get the EGR port drilled out as my machine shop did not when they ported the heads. I also had one of those "oops" happen. The brass block that feeds the turbo feed line and pressure switch at the bottom of the block broke off in the block on mine. Tried an easy out and after getting frustrated ended up pulling the motor. :mad: So after all this , nothing is too hard any more lol

Oh and by the way, that is a great looking stang, what wheels are those? They look like a deeper dish impalla ss wheel

LS1s don't feel nearly as fast as they really are. Just going by feel, I would think the old 5.0 Mustangs would outrun them but that's not the case. Even the 390rwhp WS6 I rode in felt fast but nowhere near as fast as I thought it would feel.

Originally posted by TType84
wtf was so hard to to a headgasket on a gn? you gotta be kidding me dude, i have a hotair and there's a whole lot more to take off to pull the heads, and it was EASY...

Are you kidding me? No one can tell me the first time it's easy. Not that it would have been easier on my GT, but they never had that problem. I blew the engine before I blew the gaskets. After one of the head bolts stripped on the GN while pulling them out and I had to drill, tap and use an insert, it became unpleasant.

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
Oh and by the way, that is a great looking stang, what wheels are those? They look like a deeper dish impalla ss wheel

Thanks man. I kept that car super clean inside and out. Those are ROH ZR6 (17 X 9.5 and 17 X 8.5) wheels with 315/35 Nitto D/Rs on the back and 245/40 Nitto ZRs on the front. With the Precision Industries 3200 stall multi disc converter, I spun those tires from anything under a 50 mph roll. The T-76 hit so hard when I reached full boost (12 psi on 93) that it would spin the tires into 3rd gear.

My wife could hear the turbo when I was on my way home sometimes. The car was quiet, but the turbo was extremely loud. I'm so tempted to put a big turbo on my GN after I have the heads ported and polished.

Originally posted by 83turbo6
LT1s (350ci, 5.7L) (considerd Gen 2 SBs) found in 92-96 Vettes (aluminum heads), 93-97 Fbodys (aluminum heads), (years?) Caprices, Roadmasters, Some Caddys (these were all cast iron head motors)
LT4s (350 ci, 5.7L) (gen 2) (aluminum heads) found in certian C4 Vettes (GS etc)
LT5 (all aluminum, 4 cam motor manufactured by mercury marine) found in ZR1 Vettes
LS1s (348ci, 5.7L)(gen 3) (all aluminum) found in 97-03 Vettes, 03 GTOs, 98-02 Fbodys
LS6s (348ci, 5.7L)(high performance gen 3)(all aluminum) found in ZO6 vettes
LS2s (6.0L) (upgraded LS series gen3) (all aluminum) in 04 Vettes and 04 GTOs

o and i forgot LS1s have about 350 hp not 300, they dyno out at around 300 rwhp stock, same motor is in the vettes as in f-bodys. at the time GM didnt want any other car to have the same hp rating as the vette, so even though its the same motor it makes 45 less hp in the fbodys:rolleyes:

The LT4 was also in a select few firehawks and camaro SS's in 1997.

And the LS2 is a Gen4

And the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 motors are all LS1 based and can be found in the GM truck lineup. All the parts are interchangable (you can use a 6.0 block in a camaro motor build up). They are in aluminum block (Buick Reneeir) and iron block(most of the other trucks)