So how many times do I need to have my pump rebuilt?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I bought the kit back in May 2008, the first pump (silver) worked great, for a little over 3 years. Then it started leaking all over the floor. Plus I was having intermittent pressure issues where the pump light would flash back and forth from green to red. After having to buy a whole new pump (black), well this one lasted for maybe a year and a half, and we're back to square one. The fucking pump leaks all over the floor and the intermittent pressure issues are back...again. Jeez do we have some sort of a piss poor QC at the factory that builds the pumps? Do I need to burn another $85 + for a pump that they can't get right the first time? I almost never drive the car and here I am throwing away money for things I didn't even cause. This is beyond ridiculous.

I remember seeing a post where Julio mentioned that any little bit of petroleum can/will cause premature failures in the pumps. If you are using a container that previously had gasoline in it, you are contaminating the pump - if you are buying Meth from someone who is not using a dedicated pump for the meth - you are cross contaminating and will possibly lead to premature failure.... i will have to look for his original post.

Dunno if this helps - just a thought though.

I have a dedicated can for meth that holds only meth. I can't speak from who I buy it from, other than he kept the meth stored in a gravity fed container. Before when my pump went to shit, I had used denatured alky before finding a meth source. I remember Julio saying straight meth was better so I never went back to denatured alky.

Sounds like your source for methanol is the problem. If you don't drive the car, drain the system and let the system sit in water.
Hell my car gets driven once a month and no issues. Last time I rebuilt mine was May of last year and every two years it gets freshened.. need it or not.
If you get contaminated meth, the pump will shit the bed in a couple weeks.

In the grand scheme of things.. if you where to buy race gas, that year and a half old pump owes you nothing. And not seeing the pump and what caused the issue no telling whats up with it.

Actually as little as I've drove the car since the last pump change, the price of race fuel would have came out ahead. I've gone to great lengths to ensure I've kept uncontaminated meth out of the pump, but apparently this is a no-win situation. When you're an enlisted military man on a single income and supporting a family, you just don't have the time or the cash to send it in every year.

Actually as little as I've drove the car since the last pump change, the price of race fuel would have came out ahead. I've gone to great lengths to ensure I've kept uncontaminated meth out of the pump, but apparently this is a no-win situation. When you're an enlisted military man on a single income and supporting a family, you just don't have the time or the cash to send it in every year.
Then the best solution is to have the meth system sitting in water. That way it will last forever. Let it sit in a caustic liquid, then it is what it is.

I bought my alkycontrol kit used 4 years ago and it has always worked great from the time of installation. I only use the gas line antifreeze that comes in sealed 12 oz. bottles that contain methanol. It's not the most cost effective way to purchase methanol but it is the best way to ensure it's not contaminated and is safe for the pump.

My suggestion for the OP is to get the pump rebuilt again and clean / flush out the system to remove any residue of oil or contaminants and only use the sealed bottles of gas line antifreeze that contains methanol and that should solve your problems.

Well the one on my SSR is coming up on 8 years and to tell the truth I really should take better care of it, I let it set all winter with the old alky in it and come spring I change to new alky and race, Same with the GN, If I did start taking better care of it I might have problems

For those who have had theirs for a loooong time - is it mounted with the motor up and the outlets at the bottom or the other way around. I had my original kit mounted behind the headlight with the motor on the bottom for years.... i recently switched to the "newer" mounting location on the bumper support, which locates the motor on the top and it has been leaking this winter, it probably is just coincidence but wanted to see how the rest of you guys were doing things.

aaron

I had a kit for years, mine was mounted the original way and I never changed it...My 1st pump had a problem and Julio replaced it for free, after that I went years and years before I had to replace a pump and it was my own fault when that happened (don't leave your key on kids the when the battery gets low weird stuff happens and the kit activated and filled the motor with alky and killed the pump when it ran dry, kept going for who knows how many hours)