So Cal noob

Mikalanjavin

socal new guy
Hey TB my name is Mike and I live in Southern California. Great site you have here. I am currently reading the threads and educating myself. I enjoy reading your stories/experiences and I plan on buy a GN in the near future.

My daily driver is a 2007 Toyota Tundra - 75K miles - looks and runs brand new.

I'm always at the Cars and Coffee in Irvine, see you out there!

SoCal needs more GN's...they are too rare in these parts. People act like they're seeing a unicorn!

My advice when you do buy is to research the hell out of them on this forum, and DO NOT be afraid to look way out across the country when its buying time. I looked high and low for mine...very hard to find one on the West Coast period, and when you do the sellers usually want an arm & a leg.

I found mine in South Carolina...I got hassled by people I know for buying a car sight unseen from 2300 miles away, but the car turned out to be a total winner. Great seller, and I got a lot more car than I bargained for. Couldn't be happier.

The South seems to have a lot of GN's for some reason, there are a bunch in Florida, and in the Northeastern states too. Anywhere east of the Mississippi really will give you a lot more cars to shop for. On the forum, owners tend to know a lot about their cars and about each other, so you can find a car that people know about because they've seen it around, and know the owner personally. You can buy a car with "rep" using the forum, instead of just calling on a random ad, and you'll instantly be part of a community that cares about what happens to the car and will help you out.

Also, Dennis Kirban has a book on buying a GN/TR that is immensely helpful.

Good luck with your search. Owning a GN is great, but owning one here in SoCal really sets you apart! Hope you like attention...

Vampire - Thanks for the suggestions, I think you might be my new best friend. Diamond Bar is real close to me. I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona with an Engineering degree a few years ago and I currently live in La Habra.
You may be able to answer one of my initial questions about buy an out of state car and bringing it to California. How did you get your GN to pass smog? I imagine if the car was semi stock, you may have been able to smog it. What about with all your mods, do you know someone who helps you pass smog? Is it registered under show vehicle or something?

Welcome aboard!! My car came from Pennsylvania and I had it shipped by truck to Washington state... never drive it because it rains all the time... ;)

Pass smog he says...heh heh...;)

When you do decide to buy, if you end up shipping from out of state we'll getcha taken care of. I was losing sleep over finding a smog-legal car at first, and then I said screw it, I'm buying what I want and dealing with that later. Just find a car you like, thats Step #1...

Step #2 PM me about the rest of the process cause I just went through all that BS.

Let me know if I can help you in your search. My advice to you would be to search high and low and be patient...check the listings like you're checking the stock market. I got to a point where I knew of damn near every GN for sale on the web when I finally bought.

Welcome aboard Mike, I a new guy here myself and the amount of TR info here is kind of staggering:tongue: LaHabra eh, you know where the Applebees at Beach/Imperial is? Our turbo Mopar club has been meeting there on the first Thursday of the month for almost 15 years. That club started as a Shelby Dodge club but has kinda morphed over the years to include all kinds of turbo cars as most of the members have acquired other makes/models as well. We meet about 8 to midnight on the first Thursday, come check it out or PM for more details.

BTW I saw a clean GN on Crown Valley Parkway yesterday mid day down here in South OC. Vampire is right, we don't see them very often:redface:

Alan

I too frequent Cars&Coffee, too drizzly this morning so I slept in..

I know that Applebees very well; it is one of the closest restaurants that I can walk home from after a few drinks. I will check out that meeting the first Thursday of the month. I really want to start attening events so I can meet the local TB guys..

About that GN you saw, I've read that MeanChicken lives out that way...

SoCal needs more GN's...they are too rare in these parts. People act like they're seeing a unicorn!

My advice when you do buy is to research the hell out of them on this forum, and DO NOT be afraid to look way out across the country when its buying time. I looked high and low for mine...very hard to find one on the West Coast period, and when you do the sellers usually want an arm & a leg.

I found mine in South Carolina...I got hassled by people I know for buying a car sight unseen from 2300 miles away, but the car turned out to be a total winner. Great seller, and I got a lot more car than I bargained for. Couldn't be happier.

The South seems to have a lot of GN's for some reason, there are a bunch in Florida, and in the Northeastern states too. Anywhere east of the Mississippi really will give you a lot more cars to shop for. On the forum, owners tend to know a lot about their cars and about each other, so you can find a car that people know about because they've seen it around, and know the owner personally. You can buy a car with "rep" using the forum, instead of just calling on a random ad, and you'll instantly be part of a community that cares about what happens to the car and will help you out.

Also, Dennis Kirban has a book on buying a GN/TR that is immensely helpful.

Good luck with your search. Owning a GN is great, but owning one here in SoCal really sets you apart! Hope you like attention...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/331943-1987-grand-national-hardtop-79-000-mi-florida.html

Vampire - I think something like this would be a good deal.. I'm going to pursue this one, but it's a good example.. What car carrier company did you use? I'm curious how much it costs to ship a car out to so cal..

Man I made out like a champ when I got my GN. I never did any research on the car or even heard of this site. I pretty much woke up one day and said I wanted a GN. I found mine 3 miles up the road and got it for 11k cash. Guy wanted 15k. Anyhow I looked in auto trader online and saw litterly 3 crappy pics of the GN. Anyhow good luck and be ready for folks taking your pic on the freeway and giving you thumbs up.

IMO you better jump on that car if you have the cash. If it is what the seller says it is it will be gone fast. There are 20 other people gathering the money for it as we speak, trust me. PM me and I'll give you all that other info, just have about $1000 set aside for shipping.

That Florida GN won't last.

I paid $6K for mine, (bone stock, 2nd owner, 96K miles on the clock, original paint is a good 20 footer) and it needed some TLC, but is a great daily driver.

I've put about another $12K into making it go 11's reliably (see sig....all the upgrades listed were on my wallet).

Tim

That car sold. It seemed like a good deal but it's not my time quite yet.. I'm looking to buy a house/condo soon also, so it's probably a good idea to hold onto a little bit more cash.. BUT if I find a smoking good deal for around 8K I would jump on it!!

I think a GN would be an awesome daily driver. One day, one day...

I think a GN would be an awesome daily driver. One day, one day...

I'm finding this to not be the case...Turbo Lou chewed my ass for thinking I could daily drive mine :biggrin:

MeanChicken's car is just a freak of nature, don't be fooled...these cars are finicky biotches! Either that, or you start to get paranoid about rain, vandalism, rogue shopping carts, getting in a wreck or getting it stolen...its like a disease, you'll see ;)

I'm finding this to not be the case...Turbo Lou chewed my ass for thinking I could daily drive mine :biggrin:

MeanChicken's car is just a freak of nature, don't be fooled...these cars are finicky biotches! Either that, or you start to get paranoid about rain, vandalism, rogue shopping carts, getting in a wreck or getting it stolen...its like a disease, you'll see ;)

I enjoy a challenge.

Papa Lou says I have God on my side.:D

But honestly....as long as they are buit with good reliable parts, maintained and a person does not try to push their build beyond it's intended use....they stay together reasonably well.

Mine has not been problem free...I've done some of the usual stuff like head gaskets (I did something stupid:rolleyes:); fuel pump twice; had my Cam Sensor break twice in 7 days (those little tabs on the reluctor ring are a design joke); stock turbo died; had to swap cracked headers out twice and am about to do it again; and more recently my PowerMaster:mad: grabbed all my slush fund $.
...but in terms of the build Lou did on the Engine and the transmission he hooked me up with...they've been pretty much bullet proof considering the way I lean on the peddle all the time, and I've followed every bit of advice Lou gives me to keep it that way. The ol' wise man has been around the block and back on these things several times....he knows his stuff.

Also have had some great support from others on this board (can't say enough about that) and Spoolfool2 has been a great friend to have....he's taught me a lot about safely tuning one of these things using DirectScan data.

I drive it daily, pretty much every where and in all weather....the only time I don't drive it is if I'm doing something after work and would have to leave it unattended for too long in an unfamiliar place or in a known high risk area.

At work, all the security guys know it's mine and they keep an eye and the for me, and I park it where the camera's are watching.....but I can see it from my window too...:D

Probably once I invest in a good paint job, I'll be more careful about where I take it and park it...but....I like the freedom I have right now.

I keep an eye out for folks who are tailing me and will drive in random patterns if I think I am being tailed (believe it or not...I've worn some tails out doing this on more than one occasion)...it's pretty easy to tell if you are and I'm definitley above average in terms of sensory awareness thanks to my military back ground.
All the cops I know tell me I should be a cop or agency man:D

I keep it garaged when at home.

It's insured....if it ever gets stolen....I'll take the $ and buy another one, but I sure would be sad to lose this one...it's like a loyal dog to me.:D

Welcome to the SouthWestern Section, Mike:

South Western Area - TurboBuick.Com

When we can't be found, we're generally hanging in the SouthWestern Section. Good luck with looking for a good GN.
I am generally at Cars & Coffee - Irvine with either my white '87 Turbo Buick or my thunder grey '09 Cad CTS-V. Drop by & say hi.

Welcome aboard Mike, I a new guy here myself and the amount of TR info here is kind of staggering:tongue: LaHabra eh, you know where the Applebees at Beach/Imperial is? Our turbo Mopar club has been meeting there on the first Thursday of the month for almost 15 years. That club started as a Shelby Dodge club but has kinda morphed over the years to include all kinds of turbo cars as most of the members have acquired other makes/models as well. We meet about 8 to midnight on the first Thursday, come check it out or PM for more details.

BTW I saw a clean GN on Crown Valley Parkway yesterday mid day down here in South OC. Vampire is right, we don't see them very often:redface:

Alan

I too frequent Cars&Coffee, too drizzly this morning so I slept in..

ILIKESIX - are you guys meeting up tomorrow night at Applebees in La Habra?