So, after years of use, billet caps or girdle?

turbows6

I know there was a debate over this topic several years ago, but what is the consensus these days? Billet caps or girdle?

Billet caps here. My goals dictated my choice. I only set a goal of mid 10's hence me just running caps. IMO, 9.9 and faster I would have went with a girdle and probably a staged block.

Billet caps here. My goals dictated my choice. I only set a goal of mid 10's hence me just running caps. IMO, 9.9 and faster I would have went with a girdle and probably a staged block.
X2. To get solid advice, it requires an experienced builder AND a stated goal.

Me . . . . . Caps because of the goal here as well. . . . . PLUS . . . . Did not want to:
1-Deal with any leaks . . . I know when installed correctly they don’t leak but I am too tired to pull motors to fix this kind of stuff.
2-Wanted to be able to pull the oil pan with the motor in the car.

Caps here. I started with a girdle and ended up spining a main bearing . So I left the girdle behind .

Personally . . . . I would go billet crank with caps on sonic tested block, before girdle..
If I wanted more that what that can offer . . . . SII.

My goal is too build a 9.90 engine but run lower 10's. Every builder I talked to about the 109 lately said run caps and forged crank and you will be good to go as long as the machine work is good.

I went with stock crank, stock rods converted to floaters, stock caps and RJC girdle w/scraper, extra capacity oil pan.
Once you get into forged crank, you need other aftermarket parts for it that are as expensive as the new crank, I personally could not justify the $$$$ for my 95% street car. Three yrs later and no problems, fastest mph so far was a 127.78 which should have been about a 10.6 with a good converter and traction.

Chuck

For me. Besides the $650 for the crank.. All you need is a neutral har balancer , Like I did and got a stock one with the weight machined off and a neutral flywheel. Got them both used for $200 in great shape and have it balanced and whala. You have the durability of better parts. Dont think thats too bad

2-Wanted to be able to pull the oil pan with the motor in the car.

My block is girdled and I pulled my RJC oil pan in car with no problem. Here's a pic. of it. Damn lowered cars.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    723.4 KB · Views: 108
Caps have been fine for me so far, had 'em on 2 different motors to date. One with a stock crank and one with a forged crank. Do see some fretting on the block registers on both motors but that hasn't been problematic.

I will build a girdled motor some day.