So 4.8 or 5.3...?

fatride

Which motor is best to run? I can get both for next to nothing. So Looking to see which one is best. The only thing I would change would be a decent set of rods and pistons.. Thanks for your advise!

Basically the only difference is the bore so why you want less cubes if the moneys pretty much the same.

A 4.8 has the same bore but smaller stroke as a 5.3. A 5.3 shares the same stroke as a 5.7 & 6.0.
A 4.8 will work better with 88 and smaller turbos.
Both 4.8's and 5.3's share the same blocks and can safely go to a 3.9 bore which is same as the 5.7's which makes piston selection very easy. May be harder to find rods for a decent price for a 4.8.

I would pick a 4.8 over a 5.3. That said, I am going with a 6L because I am not going to spin mine past 6500 or so.

So next question I have.. Which is a better motor to go with. The L33 or LM7? Is the only difference an alum. block on the L33? I hear 05+ have better/stronger rods?...
Thanks guys

The aluminum block would be nice to have, and plenty tough. I went with iron because it was so cheap, but I would like to lose the weight with aluminum. I have also heard the newer rods are better.

If you can swing for the more expensive shortblock, I would go aluminum. With the cross bolted mains, it will be strong enough to handle whatever most people throw at it.

Nick,go to www.ls1tech.com and check out the conversion section for alot on Gbody's and then also the Forced induction section. plenty of 5.3 motors out there at 1000hp..look up skinnies,he has a nice running 5.3 in a wagon i think..

So next question I have.. Which is a better motor to go with. The L33 or LM7? Is the only difference an alum. block on the L33? I hear 05+ have better/stronger rods?...
Thanks guys

The aluminum blocks are safe to 1000whp, then have block distortion issues. Companies like ERL can make the aluminum blocks even stronger. Iron blocks have been proven to 1500whp without issues.

Something else to look at is the cost. Aluminum is typically 3 to 4 times the cost of the iron blocks but weigh roughly 90lbs less. Guess it really depends on the application and its intended use.

Nick,

Do it so I can follow your foot steps :)

BMF,

Been following your build. Making me one to build one!