Smoking engine

oldprotrac

Spoolin Fool
My engine is smoking out of the exhust. I have a new turbo on it right now, so thats not the problem, i have plugged the PCV vavle and that didnt do anything. I used castrol 10w40 oil. I just bought moble 1 10w30 synthetic. Hoping that will help. I hope its not valve seals, if so anyone have any tips for replacing them on the car??

Valve seal replacement is pretty easy & Kirban's valve spring tool is great for removing the springs with the engine in the car. Might as well replace the springs too while your in there.

Under-pressure the valves are larger than stock. I think they might be mushroom type. I need to take the valve covers off to see if they are like that or like the stock ones.:biggrin:

I think it would, i will pull them and look, anyone with a example picture of what i would be looking for??? Color should be ???

It is a comes and goes kind of thing. It just got bad again. I am going to do a compression testy on the beast too, to see what that looks like, but this is embarassing to drive, and now under boost it leaves a cloud of blue ish white smoke.:eek:

Just because the turbo is new doesn't mean it isn't smoking. It's not likely that a new turbo would smoke, but it could.
Check the downpipe for oil. Check the compressor side into the IC and check at the throttlebody for traces of oil.

Chris, no its a standard thrust bearing 6776 turbo. I dont think it has a restrictor . I have it hooked up to a precision turbo saver.

Believe it or not, i found the problem with the smoking. After noticing i was loosing boost for no reason, i decided to look at the new turbo. Their was no in out play at all but a TON of side to side play. So much that the turbines wouldnt spin any more. Looking at the compressor exit , it was filled up with oil. I think it took out a thrust bearing. I dont know how or why though, the turbo isnt even two weeks old. Anyone have any ideas????

I am using the Precision turbo saver and oil pressure was at 25 idle and over 60 under boost. I disconnected the turbo feed line and it filled a can full of oil real quick, so i knw the turbo was getting plenty of oil.

I'm sorry to hear about the turbo. I had a BAD feeling that's what it was from your description. Did you purchase it new? Hopefully it will be under warranty.

Oh yeah, brand new. Just waiting for them to open to call them. I'm not upset or anything just want it fixed, i understand sh#T happens.

I just wonder why it happened???