Smoke

iancamaro

Im having a problem. When I'm under boost then quickly let off the gas I get a huge bellow of blue smoke out the exhaust. Then it stops and all is fine. Does not smoke any other time at all.
Turbo only has 4,000 miles on it. I did check shaft play, there was minor up and down play and zero in and out play. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, even on a new turbo. Remove DP, start car , and watch for the "wet spot" inside the exhaust housing...wait until engine is at operating temp and rev it up...you'll most likely need a flash light. I had a new 60 that did it. 12 month warranty send it back!

X2. I had a newly updated turbo crap out after only 400 miles once... it can happen. I'd send it to bison to get done right, if that's your problem.

If you have a stock oil return and have verified the crank case isn't getting pressurized under load send the turbo in and I'll take a look. There is no "seal" on the intake or exhaust. Just sealing rings like piston rings which are not positive seals. Oil is controlled by slinging and gravity drain back. The ring I use on the exhaust side has a step in it to provide the least leakage possible. I've seen these rings withstand over 600 degrees in very abusive applications with lack of cooling without losing tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so because it started so quickly and the heads have low mileage with no exhaust valve play. Under normal driving there is no smoke at all and no smoke under boost. Now I do run a shit load of boost 29 to 30 psi.
Only smokes for a second or two when I let off the gas after boost

Bison, I verified good oil to the turbo but I question the return line. It has two slight bends in it before getting back to the block. I have read older post that you said the return line is very important it's installed correct. Could this be my problem?!

If it's stock I doubt it. I would remove the exhaust outlet and take a close look between the blades toward the center to identify if the oil is actually coming from the turbo before checking anything else. Also 1" breathers on each side of the engine to prevent crankcase pressurization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk