Smogged my TTA today... barely!

Gokou

Well, I just took my TTA down to get smogged. The car was completely back to stock save for the fuel pump hotwire. Keep in mind all this stuff and the car has only 4500 miles so it's pretty much brand new.

I drove it pretty hard on the way over to get it good and hot. It was a friend's shop and I let him know I was coming. I drove in and we immediately put it on the rollers (I have Smog Check II in my area) and started the test.

It was so close to failing it wasn't even funny:

Measured CO at 15mph: 113 ppm
Max allowed: 114 ppm

Measured CO at 25mph: 88 ppm
Max allowed: 88 ppm

How's that for close? :p

The 100 octane unleaded in the tank probably didn't help the numbers any.

Congrats.. I could of sent you one of those smog chips that riase the idle and bring engine temps to 200..

BTW..hows the Chevelle coming along?

See ya..keep this up..the kit should go on the TTA :D

Originally posted by Razor
Congrats.. I could of sent you one of those smog chips that riase the idle and bring engine temps to 200..

BTW..hows the Chevelle coming along?

See ya..keep this up..the kit should go on the TTA :D

I might need the emissions chip... for when it comes time to smog my next TTA. I was smogging the car because a sale is pending to a friend of mine. He's more of a collector/preservationist type-- just the kind of person I wanted to be the next owner, and the best part is he's close so I can see the car from time to time. I'm not abandoning TTA's entirely though-- I'm already looking at a 32K mile all original t-top cloth car as a replacement. If I do get it, I'm going nuts with that car-- convertor, turbo, hyd roller, major headwork, injectors, double pumper, etc. All the stuff I wanted to do to my car but I couldn't bring myself to do it. With the 30K mile car being far less rare and having lots more miles (and more importantly, already has seen the bulk of depreciation), I would have no reservations about doing permanent mods. :)

As far as the Chevelle, it's still parked in the garage, about an hour's worth of work away from being able to yank the motor out. I have a lot of other stuff going on right now, so I just haven't been motivated enough to yank it, but maybe I will over this 4 day weekend. I'm getting ready to order wideband FAST EFI and 55# injectors for it within the next couple weeks, and I already have the guy picked out who is going to work over my heads. When it's back together the new goal is 550 rwhp minimum on pump gas along with 22 mpg on the freeway. With the carb it would manage 17mpg @ 75mph running fairly rich, so 22mpg should be a piece of cake with EFI. :)

Troy

Good luck :)

You know how to reach me :) if ya need the chip.

I have the joy of doing this tomarrow...
Lucky I have a new Cat that I just put on for the testing only. Also I turn down the Fuel Pressure real low and make sure its warm...

I just smogged the wifes Starfire, 0 CO emmissions on the idle test, HC's about half the limit.:) The TTA gets its cat put back on for a day in February, hasn't failed me yet.

Julio,
Tell me about this emissions chip you have? I am the guy buying Gokou's car. The reason I ask is I have a TTA Festival Car as well (5K miles) and it also has been close. Even with the Trasher emissions chip. How does or will yours compare to the Trasher emissions chip? Out here in Ca. they are lowereing the standards all the time.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,
Congrats on its purchase.. You probably have enough parts collected to build a new car :)

What I have is an emissions chip I got from a TTA list member. It says TTA Emissions, it more than likely is a thrasher.

Simple solution..move to Fla.. sunny beaches and no emissions :D

One problem may be the injectors are now 15 years old..and may not be working as once were. May try having them cleaned and flowed. Catalytic may also be another factor.

These cars due to compression and fuel management are polluters. Its tough.. good luck.

These cars due to compression and fuel management are polluters. Its tough.. good luck.

I would have to argue with that. When I take my car to emmissions I have never had a problem. The first time I was worried and lowered the fuel pressure (beyond the limits of the BLM's) and it passed with something ridiculoiusle low like 1ppm HC and .02% CO idle and 3ppm HC and .04% CO.

Next time I just installed the converter and passed with something like 40ppm/.1% without messing with anything else. I would have a tough time failing if I tried.

I think we have an easier time passing due to the fact that we are able to see what is going on in the ECM as compared to your typical daily driver which has only a SES light and only gets a tuneup if it is running rough. Of course this is talking about nearly stock cars and not stage engines with custom intakes exhausts, DFI etc... I actually have a harder time getting my '89 regal 2.8 through which is 100% bone stock and it will usually be within 10% of every limit of the test.
As for smogging a car with 100 octane unleaded, I would agree it probably did hurt it a little, and would definately try next time with just pump gas in it.

Anyone want to see a Direct Scan run of me going through emmissions?? Had to laugh when the attendant saw the laptop on test mode, I just told him it was for monitoring the ECM (simplest answer I could come up with) and he walked away with a dumb look on his face like this:confused:

You know..maybe your rite. My emmissions experience was back in 92 when I had a GN..that everything was replaced and it would not pass..I mean everything.. But again knowing what i know today..it would be a totally different scenario. Thats the reason I had sold the car. Due to emmissions.

Now the state eliminates emmissions testings.. ohh well..

Whats a cat?

hehehe

Julio

Whats a cat?

hehehe

Julio

It's one of those things you have to pull out of the intercooler scoop after driving through a neighborhood:eek: :D