smc kit- rca terminals

dadmomcat

smc kit works great, no problem except, once in a while the rca terminal will work loose and NO spray. Any one found a way to make the connection tight and not work loose ??

Maybe Steve can have a up grade way of connecting the wire set up in the future.

Thanks for any ideas that work

Been there.. done that.. not fun when your blowing 23 psi and the thing doesnt fire.

Problem is the denatured is corrossive..and the tin on those plugs is cheap. What I did was cleaned out the terminals,packed them with dialectric grease, and then installed some silicone boots over the whole terminal. The boots came from an ignition wire set I had..they were from a Coil terminal 90 degree..dunno how else to explain..but you have to keep denatured away from the terminals..else problems..and this fix has lasted me since Nov 2001..I also had spoke to Steve bout this..but things are what they are.

I wished the terminals were not on the bottle but maybe a foot away..to keep the corrossion issue non existent...but the above tip..is what has worked for me.

HTH

Julio

thanks Razor for the information, will give it a try. Sound good on paper and should work.

Paul

Paul, you aint gonna believe this, my buddy called me at 6:30 today..the alky isnt working..lite comes on..but no spray..

He brings the car over..I check..it has voltage at the terminal when the fire button is pressed..but the pump doesnt spin..I check a little further..the connection inside the brass sleeve had corroded the black connection..pulled the brass sleeve out, removed the epoxy, pressed out the male RCA..got a couple wires and soldered them to the ones going to the pump..a little heat shrink tubing..re-fed them through the brass plug and silicon'd the hole in the brass.. ;)

Works like a charm..and put a male rca connector 6 inches away from the pump.

HTH

Julio

BTW..this is the second one I do this too..alcohol is some nasty stuff on connections

another project

Razor:

That is a little funny that another member has the same problem.
I will have to really look into your solder method with the rca.

Steve make a good kit, but i guess it need some more field time to make it better.

Thanks for information, I have long week-end and another Buick project to do ( wiring a new wire harness to the ecm ) so i will have all of the right tools out for the rca job.

Paul

also may want to try putting alky in a gallon gas jug with pour spout so you can put it in the bottle and remove your finger and let it flow into the tank with no spill. works great and no spills for me yet. BTW, Razor, i hit 30 psi tonite in 70* weather with controller on ninja death speed and no KR on 93 octane and 21* timing and straight denatured like you said. lotsa fun until the up pipe blows off and you immediately think HEADGASKET!:D:eek:

Good thing your "rca" terminals were'nt corroded preventing your pump from working. Sounds like a common problem. :rolleyes: You could have easily blown your engine. I haven't checked mine in three years. ;) Do you get "rca" terminals with the econo kit? :p

Originally posted by turbo buicks
also may want to try putting alky in a gallon gas jug with pour spout so you can put it in the bottle and remove your finger and let it flow into the tank with no spill. works great and no spills for me yet. BTW, Razor, i hit 30 psi tonite in 70* weather with controller on ninja death speed and no KR on 93 octane and 21* timing and straight denatured like you said. lotsa fun until the up pipe blows off and you immediately think HEADGASKET!:D:eek:

So what happened with running water? :D

Keep your PSI down..else that rebuild will come sooner than you think :eek:

Time to get some better hose clamps ;)

Hey John :p at least we dont have check valves to worry about :D

LOL, John, LOL. my RCA terminals are fine. i use a gas jug with pour spout so i dont spill any alky onto the sides of the tank.

julio, im getting some better Kirbans clamps real soon and Bobs sending me one of his to use on the TB for the time being. i guess straight denatured is good after all:D Bobs sending me a chip with 19* timing like yours so i can run 25 psi safely in all gears in the heat cuz i was getting some 3rd gear knock the other day on 25 psi.

Steve..ya dont look at the dynamics of friendships..

John is my friend..I can kid with him just like he can with me... I was saying that to get a rise from the old Goat :D

See the DIY kit is great for 12 second cars :p plus they dont worry about bad RCA terminals..

Yes and no..see John uses a check valve in his system..and his did go bad after like 50,000 miles... So I mearly tweaked him about it..no disinformation..

Thats why the kit is a DIY..he did his his way..anyone who does a DIY doesnt have to follow any specific rituals..

Listen..the only reason I didnt go the DIY route was the intrensic value..whereas I can sell my SMC kit tonite in less than a couple hours for 250-300 bucks..very limited loss..Now try selling a used DIY kit..economics..this you cannot argue..even tho its cheaper on the initial investment..160 or so..I can recoup 80 percent of my SMC kits value...which makes more CENTS to me..And the fact I can unistall it wham bam.

Its a personal deal to read the internet articles..dont believe all the crap that goes on these boards..there is a lot of information..some good and some bad..you have your life's choices..I can hit nerves with just about anyone here..my cars performance speaks for itself...not being a **** or anything..I'm one of the few really trying to explore effective ways to hit C16 performance on alky..and publicly speaking about it.

My posts are solid..they always have been..at least to my own personal view.

;)

Mark H. also uses a check valve on his DIY system and it works fine with excellent performance.

I also find it hard to believe noone has had a wiring problem with a DIY kit like a broken lead or bad solder connection.

Anyway I'm sure most are here in the alky. section to help solve problems and that is what counts the most. :)

There are many ways to run 12's and even 11's on pump gas and alky. :cool:

Originally posted by Razor
rituals..

Listen..the only reason I didnt go the DIY route was the intrensic value..whereas I can sell my SMC kit tonite in less than a couple hours for 250-300 bucks..very limited loss..Now try selling a used DIY kit..economics..this you cannot argue..even tho its cheaper on the initial investment..160 or so..I can recoup 80 percent of my SMC kits value...which makes more CENTS to me..And the fact I can unistall it wham bam.

;)

I just gotta' shoot holes in your calculations. While you may be able to sell your kit for $250-$300 and recoup 80%........maybe! I guess you could cite a reason to do this :confused:......like change over to propane. :D In my case, I couldn't imagine any reason I would want to get rid of my kit......and if I did, it would be the fool who wouldn't give me $100 for all they need to up their boost to the moon. I'd be giving it away. I'd have to be a fool to sell it for $100. Afterall, I'd lose 50. :rolleyes: :D

True..but it was a decision made "at time of purchase" not after ;)

Hind sight is 20/20 :D

rust

Took the SMC tank apart to come up with a better wiring method instead of the rca terminals. The pump outer housing had alot of rust on it and also in the tank. HMMMMMM There is a small filter on the bottom of the pump, hope it works.

I use 50% / 50% mix in my system. Thinking about locating a larger tank in the trunk and use the parts from SMC and rewire the set-up.

Has any one found rust in there tank ??

On the kits I rewired the pump connections, I did notice the epoxy on the bottom of the brass terminal had deteriorated and decompossed on the bottom of the container.

No rust..but some exterior corrossion on the pump itself..probably normal from sitting in alcohol.

Steve does sell a large container..problem faced is length of line..hence why the mention of accumulator comes up.

Mine has worked for a year and a half zero defects...and I run straight denatured.

Originally posted by Razor

Mine has worked for a year and a half zero defects...and I run straight denatured.

A YEAR AND A HALF AND HOW MANY MILES?

IN COMPARISON I'D LIKE TO POINT OUT A TOTAL OF 70,000 MILES ON MY DIY KIT, WITH NO DEFECTS OR FAILURES OTHER THAN A FAULTY, OPTIONAL CHECK VALVE. I RUN THE MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE METHANOL & WATER. ;)

I have constructed a shrine at my house in your honor, Red. I need an autoghaphed picture of your DIY alcohol kit to complete it. Please send it to this address:

Admistrator of the Enchanted Kingdom
18 psi Wizard of OZ Lane
City of Atlantis 1-1320
C/O Elvis Presley or Jimi Hendrix

BTW Elvis sends his best, and wants to know if you would like to go out tonight and see a movie. He aslo says you should cease drinking the alchy out of your kit....;)

He also says you need to get your brake lights fixed since he almost ran into you the other day when you wipped into the massage parlor.

Sorry to hear of your bad back. Wouldn't a chiropracror do a better job?

Then again, he prolly doesn't provide a 'happy ending'......

I just spit up what I was drinking :D

Good kill Tim..but you shouldnt give out dis-information :eek:

Well a certain percentage was not true..

hehe

Red.. my kit only has 2000 miles..1/4 at a time.. buwahaha

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim

BTW Elvis sends his best, and wants to know if you would like to go out tonight and see a movie. He aslo says you should cease drinking the alchy out of your kit....;)

a chiropracror

A WHAT? :rolleyes: I THINK SOMEBODY ELSE IS DRINKING THEY'RE SMC. :p