Slow spool wih 6152 turbo

dvernst

Stock heads, and cam with a 3" exhaust Precision single disc lu with 3200 Stall. When I first installed it I thought the puck wasn't sealing because I ported too big, but have had it apart a few times now, and it's definitely good. In first gear it won't build full boost (22-23 psi 100 octane) until about 4500 rpm, and launching at the track at a couple psi it after full throttle it takes about 2 full seconds to hit full boost. I'm basing this off of pl readings. Do you think this Turbo is just to big for stock heads, and cam? Thanks

Dave

Sounds like the converter isn't a 3200 stall. Probably 2600-2800

Yeah I think you might be right actually. When I foot brake it I can't really get it past about 27-2800. I wasn't sure if that was the prob. Though because it didn't hit full boost till 4500. Maybe I could just get it restalled. Trans needs work anyway because it's flaring up on the 2-3 shift. I've been thinking of getting a ptc non Lu because I'm getting over 11% slip up top...

Thanks
Dave

What rpm are you shifting at?

It's unusual for a converter that tight to slip 11% unless your putting alot of power to it or shifting at a low rpm.

I think whatever the stock shift points are. It usually gets to about 5400. My MPH I figured from was about 118.xx. I forget what the rpms were...

I ran that same turbo and converter on a stock longblock until last year. Best times were 11.36 @ 117 MPH on 93 and alky. Spool was not an issue with a good tune. I would try to launch the car around 15-16# and within a few frames on the Power Logger it would be spooled up to full boost, around 26-28#. BTW the single disc Vigilante L/U in my car stalled at 2650 RPM. Shifts were at 5400 and converter slip was also at 11%.

That's where the problem is. It won't spool while I'm sitting still. Even if I'm rolling. I'll hold the brake and try to build boost, and it won't. Not until the R's get way up. Sitting still I can only get a couple pounds of boost. My best time was 11.5@ 118.7. 60' was really slow though

Thanks
Dave

A log or a video would help....
Are you sure your wastegate is not sticking open and sealing completely.

Maybe you have checked, but when installed my TA61, 1/4 of copper header to turbo gasket blew/erroded out within first 50 miles or so do to the header flange being warped - killing spool. Trued up the flange w/ new gasket -back to smoking tires.:D

My car had spooled very slow with a 6157 tubo with my old converter.I sent it to PTC told them my problem and it works great now.I would have to brake torque it for an easy 20-30 seconds to get to 10-12 lbs of boost.Now it only takes 2-5 seconds and it comes up in boost real quick.i couldnt be happer with this converter.

Ok I'm convinced a Non Lu Ptc will help this Turbo spool much faster, and I'll be ordering one later this week, but I have a question about the 6262 BB turbo. With my current setup do you think I would have problems spooling this Turbo also. Assuming my only problem now is a converter that's too tight?
Thanks
Dave

Hey Dave it's Nick. I don't know if you remember me but I've got a TTA, I met you at the track a few times most recently at Byron last month.
I'm having the same problem. I can build about 4-5 psi of boost while brake torquing but it won't go any higher. We looked at my pl logs from this past weekend and
it seems to be hitting a wall at 2700 rpm. It's launching like a slug but once it gets going it's fine.
It also seems to spool up pretty quick from a roll so I think the puck is fine. I called Jimmy this morning, the converter is going back to Precision.

Have you tried pulling any fuel out of 1st gear? I have yet to upgrade from the single disc L/U Vigilante, which stalls at 2600 RPM. Yet, I can spool the new billet 6765 journal bearing, which is considerably more turbo than the 6152E that I was running last year. It still stalls at 2600, but I have a log showing boost at 13# and RPM at 3650.

Yes I've tried adjusting first gear fuel, and timing. Is this on the car in your signature? I have stock heads.

Yes, that is the car's current configuration. I was running a stock longblock until last spring with the 6152, and could hold 20+ # of boost on the footbrake with only upsized S-10 wheel cylinders. The stock engine, 6152, and Vigilante converter netted a best of 1.57 60' and 11.36 @ 117.

I thought the 6152 journal needed atleast 3200 @ 1 psi with the converter you are using. Prolly needs more like 3400 @ 1 psi. lol