Slipping on 2-3 shift

My car is all stock 16,500 miles. I bought it last fall, just doing all of the "spring cleaning" items including changing the trans fluid and filter. Now I have a flare when it shifts 2-3. It just started tonight out of nowhere. It was working perfectly and then I changed the fluid 2 weeks ago. Tonight was the first time I really used it since then. Fluid is full and looks clean. Did I kill this transmission by changing the fluid?

Stock transmissions suck. If you have the $$$ get it rebuilt. It will be the best money you ever spent. Assuming you take it to one of the gurus from this board.

Probably Dave Husek is the closest guy to you.

Stock Trans.

Back when my car was new (in 88). I remember my friend and I had our trans. service for the first time. Both of our cars shift very soft and his even slipped between shifts. We took the cars back to the dealership, they said put some miles on them to see what would happen. The transmission came back around. Stock car, I love the stock tranny. I know the cars was new back then. If it was shifting good before you change the fluid. I would put some miles on it before you make any changes. Let us know if it works. ;)

If it worked fine before the fluid change and now it doesnt I would look into a couple of things first.

When you replaced the filter did you get the old oring/seal out of the pump and replace it with a new one?

Also the fluid level should be filled to the middle of the back and forth bends on the dipstick since teh filter picks up off the top and it tends to cavitate at WOT and overfill helps with this.

How is your TV cable set?

I spoke to Dave, thanks. I flushed out all of the fluid, and put in another new filter. The level is slightly over the full mark and I was still having a problem. I tried tightening up the tv cable, 1 click and the car felt a little better, 2 clicks and it felt even better, but it is still not 100%. I will probably try adding a little more fluid. Thanks for the help. I hope I can figure this out, because the prices to rebuild these are not cheap!

Fluid starvation is common on these cars.

I had an issue with my old car that everything was ok except the 2-3.

Interestingly, if I punched it from 45 so that it downshifted to second (from fourth) the 2-3 was fine.

Eventually I put a pressure gauge on the transmission and watched the pressure issues......

Replacing the pump in the transmission was what fixed it.

Be careful driving thru flares. The really put a hurtin' on the frictions.

At least the car is still stock, so you're not putting 500hp thru a slipping trans. It would die quickly if that were the case.

Bob

Bob I LOL'd at your Avatar.

To teh OP...If you filled the trans up to the middle of the back and forth bends and have the correct filter and sealing ring on it installed correctly, tv cable set right, etc.

Think its time for PSI gauge and road test. If its not right i would get it rebuilt.

If you tightenend the TV cable and it got better then it probably wasnt set right to begin with and thats all it takes to smoke one.