Skytop vs. Astro

LBNJWE4

Anyone know if I can replace a Skytop moonroof with a factory Astroroof? Basically i need to know if the Astro glass is same size or bigger then the Skytop. I am trying to avoid replacing the entire roof, but this Skytop is a POS. I will post back with measurements when I take them.

measurements for the skytop

my skytop moonroof is 35 1/4 x 17 or 38 1/2 corner to corner diag. Anyone have an astroroof that can measure, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

The factory CF5 astroroof is a little more complicated than your current unit. It used a special roof skin and inner reinforcement. It aint a cut the hole a little larger deal anyway. You're going to have to do some welding and body work if you want to get rid of it or do it right IMO.

thanks, is that the outer skin that is different? If I have to change the whole roof i may go with the hardtop, although the extra support may be nice. If it's inner I can weld it myself

nevermind, just found out my hole is bigger, so I will have to replace the entire roof anyway. Do you know if the Skytops are reinforced at all? I will probably drop the headliner next fall or winter to find out, but maybe I will have this fixed for the 3rd time before then if I know it is. Thanks again for your input turbofish38.

I have a Sky Top on my 87 T that is leaking horribly. What did you end up doing about yours? Im thinking about putting a hardtop on it

Nothing yet, still deciding whether to fix it, or replace the roof. I am planning that for next winter project. If you find a place that will fix them, let me know, and I will do the same. Mine does not leak, it doesn't work, and the sunshade is broken.

Do you have a pic of the skytop roof? I have an Astroroof and an ASC roof. The ASC one has a Ford stamp on the assembly. Never heard of the skytop roof so just curious to see it...

Im dropping the car off Monday next week to get looked at. Supposed to be one of the best T-Top/Sunroof shops around. Guy knew what it was immediately (and was not happy I must say) and said he would take a look. Sais he may be able to get parts, maybe not, but I hope to god he can fix this thing. Dont really have any other option. As far as pictures, I just got the car so havent taken any yet, but I will soon if I get a chance

Do you have a pic of the skytop roof? I have an Astroroof and an ASC roof. The ASC one has a Ford stamp on the assembly. Never heard of the skytop roof so just curious to see it...

I will take one tomorrow and post it.

Here Are Some Pics

Attachments

• DSCF0113.jpg
    DSCF0113.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF0114.jpg
    DSCF0114.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF0115.jpg
    DSCF0115.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF0116.jpg
    DSCF0116.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF0117.jpg
    DSCF0117.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 157
Before going to the shop I would drop and remove the headliner. (It's not hard). You will see a group of small bolts holding the assembly in place. If you can get another set of hands to help you I'd go ahead and remove the assembly so that you can inspect it. It's really NOT hard. I'd also recommend removing the front seats to make moving around a little easier. (only 4/5 bolts per seat.)

If there is a big leak somewhere it should be obvious. And then you can decide what you should do. I'd hate to take the car to a shop and be at their mercy because you have no idea what's wrong with it. Heck, for all you know they might tell you that your "flux capacitor" came loose and it's gonna cost you $300 bucks when in actuality it may simply be a minor .50 fix!!

If nothing else, having the headliner out will save you money in labor costs to remove and re-install.

good idea I need it recovered anyway. Mine doesn't leak, at least not inside the car. It has tubes going down all four corners to run the water out past the body. I read that the seals are not intented to stop water but to guide it to the tubes. I tried it the other day, and it makes a solenoid sound, but does not go up or in. Also, one of the clips on the sunshade busted off, and it is jammed cockeyed and will not slide back. The headliner material is completely off of the sunshade, was drooping real bad so I yanked it thinking that was hanging it up. I'm still thinking of going with a new roof since the Skytop is not original, but it would be good to pull the headliner down and see if it could be fixed cheaply. My only fear is, I had it repaired twice already, so if it goes after this, more then likely it will be after the car is painted, and I will be screwed to put a new roof on then.

try and fix it first. If nothing else, it has to be cheaper than cutting the car and redoing the roof. Besides, it might help to keep the value even if it were a dealer or aftermarket installed roof. Just fix it and keep her parked in the garage!:p That's what I do.

I was going to try and play with mine myself, but mine works perfectly, its just leaking. Apparently the guy Im taking it to has some left over seals, etc for these so I may as well have him do it and do it correctly. I also have the four drainage holes and they are clear, so I have no idea why its not draining...

If you need parts I remember coming across a site called sunroofdoctor.com (this is from memory so try to google it). They had all kinds of parts for rare and obsolete T Tops and sun roofs.

While some may not like aftermarket tops / moonroofs I think it's kinda neat that someone liked the car enough when it was new to go through the expense. Our Z/28 has Cars and Concepts T tops installed by the original owner.