Skinnies - Tire size?

Qwick6

I was wondering what size tires you guys with skinnies are running? I am thinking of going with 275/60/15 Drag Radials in the back (28" tall) and I am not sure if the 26" tall M/T Sportsman would look good or if I should go with the 28" tall front tire. If I were to go 26" I would also have the option of running a 165R15 Radial front tire. What are you running?

I am running the 26 7.50 M/T tires on the front when using my Hoosier Quick Time pros. Bear in mind that these are bias ply tires so don't think it is advisable to run them with the BFG radials. You might be better off running some skinny radials but try to get the highest weight rating ones you can. Here's some pics on my site so you can see what the look like. http://www.buickgn.com/weldwheelphotos.htm

Of course you're talking strip only?

I run 27X4.5X15 Goodyear Front Runners. I don't like 26s - they're too short for my taste...

:)

Boosted - I don't think that mixing the bias ply tires with the radials will really matter since the front tires are so narrow, but I am not sure. Has anyone else done this?

strikeeagle - I am going to be using these on a street/strip car, not just on the strip. I know they do not recommend using the narrow wheels on the street but I am not too worried about it. This car will not be used in the rain or for commuting so it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else using skinnies on the street?

M/T Sportsmans

Right here....I'm using the same ones as Mark. just get the 8 ply ones, they are rated for over 3000lb cars. They are heavy though. I use 'em on the street too and it ain't too bad.

Steve

Steve,

Weren't you trying to get the 175/80QR15 Touring T/A's? Were you not able to find them? I did read through the old posts and it appears the only drawback to the M/T Sportsman tires is the thumping. I am also going to be running 28" tall tires in the rear instead of the 26" tires you are running and I am not sure if I should go with the 26" or 28" Sportsmans for the front. I have seen the 28" tires and they tend to look like airplane tires! Thanks for the input.

Mike

Im running 26 X 7.5 Hoosier Pro Street fronts. They are radial so might go better with your drag radials.

Mark,

What tires are running on the back? If you do have a 28" tall rear tire, does the 26" front tire look "right" or would you recommend a 28" tall front tire? Thanks.

Mike

Rear are 27 X 11.5 Hoosier QTP's, look pretty good. Don't know how much taller the 28's would look. I think it depends on how high your front end sits also. My friends sits much higher than mine (CF hood, fiber bumper, no a/c, etc) and the 26's look really tiny.

Mark Hueffman

What springs are you running on your car? I have Eibach springs on the front and rear of my car now (1.5 inch drop) and just ordered HD springs from Cottons Perf. I am hoping to get close to the same stance as your car....which btw is very nice.

bshultz, have bell tech drop spindles on the front and to tell the truth, don't know what springs are in there. Got the GN like that when I bought it. I have Hoosier QT's that are the 27 10.50 size on the back. I agree, if the car sits low the 26's will look fine. BTW the back springs are for a 79 Mustang application. They are cheap, cut a coil off for a perfect stance. I have two sets of springs for the rear that I swap out when I switch to the 275/60 BFG drag radials I also have as I can lower the car a little more without rubbing with them on. Mainly because of different offsets between the Welds and Torque Thrust 2's.

Doug,

Are you using the 15x5" wheels with the 205's? I would not think that those tires would fit on the 3 1/2" wheels.

Mike

Originally posted by Qwick6
Doug,

Are you using the 15x5" wheels with the 205's? I would not think that those tires would fit on the 3 1/2" wheels.

Mike

Although they shouldnt be on that narrow of a wheel ive had my 205/75s on 3.5 and now 4in wheels. Pics are in the below link.

Louie,

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the link to the pictures. I was on the Tire Rack website and found some 195/75/15 Bridgestones that I think will be a nice compromise. Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions and experiences.

Mike

Yes I think they are 5's come to think of it

Louie, that is a very fine looking car there. I love the Convo Pro rims.

Quick 6,
Sounds like a good compromise.Ill have to check that tire out.On a last note my buddy runs a 195/70(75?) in his 3.5 front rim. The tire is made by Nitto.

Doug,
Thanks for the complements;)

Mike,
Yeah, I searched high and low for those 185/70QR15 Touring T/A tires and couldn't find them anywhere. The M/T's do thump until they get warmed up or until you get them up to over 50 mph or so.

Good luck,
Steve