SIR test and tune tonight-tucson

buickbert

just like the title says, gates open at 4, racing usually goes till about 1130ish.

buickbert

finally got the car to hold "decent" boost at the line. ive known the powermaster has been going out but now its to the point that it struggles to hold 2-3lbs of boost. i plan on converting to vacuum or maybe the hydroboost brake system soon.

anywho;

i pulled up to the light and basically stood on the brake pedal and it held right around 6-7 lbs (lucky me), lights came down and away i went.

60' 1.916
330' 5.303
1/8 8.144
mph 86.33
1000' 10.604
1/4 12.692
mph 108.03

overall im happy with this but i believe being able to hold more boost off the line would further lower my et's. a certain member who shall remain nameless (im sure he will chime in shortly) was telling me to e- brake launch the car but i never got back into the staging lanes as there was a good turnout of cars and i didnt want to wait in line again.

opinions on which brake system to convert to?

buickbert

I never had any luck with a vacuum setup at the track. After the burn out they take a while to build vacuum. On the road they work well. I still have the powermaster in my car and I was able to hold over 10 lbs. of boost. From what I understand the vacuum builds about 400lbs, the powermaster 600-800lbs and the hydroboost about 1200lbs of pressure.
I have a proportioning valve (Summit) that lets me apply more pressure to the rear. The biggest bang for the buck were the 11" rear brakes which required a different backing plate and some mods to the axle tube ends. I also have a hydroboost setup (from and '85 Buick) which I was considering to install. Actually because I am now using a transbrake, I could go back to vacuum setup with disc brakes in the rear (less rotating mass).
On your setup do you have a line lock to lock the front brakes on the burnout? Do you adjust your rear brakes tighter before you run your car? If you can get your sixty foot times in the 1.5 range you would get into the
11's!
Jeff

I never had any luck with a vacuum setup at the track. After the burn out they take a while to build vacuum. On the road they work well. I still have the powermaster in my car and I was able to hold over 10 lbs. of boost. From what I understand the vacuum builds about 400lbs, the powermaster 600-800lbs and the hydroboost about 1200lbs of pressure.
I have a proportioning valve (Summit) that lets me apply more pressure to the rear. The biggest bang for the buck were the 11" rear brakes which required a different backing plate and some mods to the axle tube ends. I also have a hydroboost setup (from and '85 Buick) which I was considering to install. Actually because I am now using a transbrake, I could go back to vacuum setup with disc brakes in the rear (less rotating mass).
On your setup do you have a line lock to lock the front brakes on the burnout? Do you adjust your rear brakes tighter before you run your car? If you can get your sixty foot times in the 1.5 range you would get into the
11's!
Jeff

no line lock and ive never adjusted the rear brakes before i raced, i just bolt on the et streets, uncap the dump and go :biggrin:

knowing me id set them too tight and they would drag all the way down the track, as a rule of thumb what would be the best "setting" to set the rear brakes at? i have the s-10 wheel cylinders and the "long shoes" as well as the aluminum drums already installed. that hydroboost system u got there if u dont use it would you consider unloading it?

buickbert

no line lock and ive never adjusted the rear brakes before i raced, i just bolt on the et streets, uncap the dump and go :biggrin:

knowing me id set them too tight and they would drag all the way down the track, as a rule of thumb what would be the best "setting" to set the rear brakes at? i have the s-10 wheel cylinders and the "long shoes" as well as the aluminum drums already installed. that hydroboost system u got there if u dont use it would you consider unloading it?

buickbert
you need a line lock so you don't build up too much heat on the rear brake shoes during the burnout.
Jeff

I would be willing to sell hydroboost setup. It comes complete with the brake pedal and firewall mounting plate. It also has the Regal power steering pump which you would not use (I would remove it before shipping). I paid $150 plus the price to ship it. We can just do the deal for $175 with shipping.
Jeff
jrandsts@yahoo.com