simple brake question - squealers

ez at nova

I hate rice
Not TR related but I need help and anyone who knows about brakes should probably know this.
Changing the front pads on my jeep, the 4 that came off had no squealer/metal clip looking piece. Of the replacement mopar pads, 2 of the 4 had this metal piece which I assume is a squealer since it seems to serve no retaining purpose. Which side of the rotor does the squealer pad get mounted on?
I called one dealer and he said the "lower" (isn't it inner and outer!?) and I asked if that meant piston side and he said "yes." Then I called another and he said "doesn't matter...I mean, outside." So, there's two different answers. The last guy also said there is a difference between the inner and outer pads. I saw NO difference (besides the metal piece about the size of a paper clip) in the actual pad between all 4. Any help would be great.

Piston side.

In a floating caliper, the piston side gets more pressure than the floating side, and that pad wears down faster. If you put the squealer on the outside, you'd be running on the rivets on the piston side before the squealer hit the rotor.

THIS IS WHAT I NEED TO KNOW

Check out this web page, go all the way down. Look at the little drawing of the brake pad. There is a metal piece sticking off the back side of the pad going AWAY from the braking surface. This is exactly what two of the pads look like and two don't have that piece. What the heck is that!?? Is that a sign of an inner or outer pad? (Inner meaning piston, outer meaning closest to wheel)

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/04/d7/64/0900823d8004d764.jsp

If you read the caption under the picture, it says "Bend the retaining flange if there is excessive free play."

Pretty clear.

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
If you read the caption under the picture, it says "Bend the retaining flange if there is excessive free play."

Pretty clear.

No, not that picture. Go ALL THE WAY DOWN, the last little drawing. The brake pad there has a metal thing that is the size of a large paperclip going off the back of the pad.

Thanks