Silent But Deadly

nvr2late

Hello
The exhaust system on my 87 GN is too loud. I used to like that but don't anymore. I'd like to replace it with a system that's more stealthy. Any suggestions?

Dennis Hogan runs 9.90's @136 through three mufflers. Two under the rear seats, and a dual pass cross flow Walker Ultra Flow behind the rear end. Straight through mufflers (Ultra Flows) and 2.5" mandrel bent stainless. The car is church mouse quiet. (Only at idle/cruise). And there is no drone. Anyone that says their system doesnt drone must be deaf, LOL. Dennis spent a fortune trying just about EVERY system and muffler out there. I even wrapped the entire system from cylinder head port to,the tail pipe exit. Did nothing, 3" ultra flow where the cat resides, NO IMPROVEMENT, The only muffler that quieted down was a stock Riveria muffler, but it killed performance. We hung weights trying to tame drone. The ONLY thing that worked and didn't KILL power output was adding the cross flow muffler. On his race car he had a 3" version built, and that car ran 9.0 @ 149. Search for three muffler system and you can find pictures.

Thanks Ken
Church mouse quiet......that's what I'm talking about! I'd rather be seen not heard. I'll look for a system like that.

My ATR isn't bad. Could be quieter though.

My dream setup would be a super quiet dual system with an electric cutout that doesn't leak.

I have a 3'' single exhaust without a cat converter. I had the local muffler shop make 2 pipe sections for me out of mild steel. I use a 3'' Moroso Spiral flow muffler where the stock cat convert used to be on the end of my ATR 3'' down pipe, then 1 of the short sections of pipe then a 3'' Hooker Aero chamber muffler then the other short section of pipe going to the rear end and up over it and exits behind the passenger rear tire. The car has some sound to it but it's not loud, until i put my foot in it. I can have a normal conversation in the car and listen to the radio at normal sound levels without a problem. I have all sound deadening padding removed from the car also to save weight. It probably doesn't sound like the best flowing system but if there is any draw back to it i can't tell. It didn't cost a lot for this system and it's about 13 years old.

Last edited:
Pypes 2.5 is pretty quiet until wot..way more quiet then my atr on the other car.

I was VERY surprised on how quiet my car was after I made all my upgrades including the cam. I am on the fence with how quiet it is, of course that all goes out the window @ 28# of boost and WOT.

You all should specify what mufflers you are using. My car is almost stock quiet with no drone with a Hooker dual 2.5" system from the late 90's that still has the super turbo style mufflers that came with it. Straight through mufflers will give off the drone.

You all should specify what mufflers you are using. My car is almost stock quiet with no drone with a Hooker dual 2.5" system from the late 90's that still has the super turbo style mufflers that came with it. Straight through mufflers will give off the drone.
Dynomax VT are straight through mufflers and DO NOT drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynomax VT are straight through mufflers and DO NOT drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dynomax VT mufflers here too...Went on the car in 2011 , I ordered the Pypes 2.5" system and deleted the Race Pro's . As far as I know I was the guinea pig for these mufflers.
I removed the Hooker system from my car due to the drone. ..
There is a link with a sound clip of the VTs in my signature

Super happy with the sound and no drone. Can have a normal conversation in the car and no longer NEED to turn the stereo system up ...but I do anyway.

Bryan

My car is loud for other reasone... T Tops, poly motor and body mounts, etc. I sometimes drive it around with the dump open. I actually think my exhaust is too quiet and would welcome a little drone.

My car is loud for other reasone... T Tops, poly motor and body mounts, etc. I sometimes drive it around with the dump open. I actually think my exhaust is too quiet and would welcome a little drone.

There you go, AMEN!!!