SII timing chain broke......

Replace the chain after 40 runs! That does not sound like fun.
Gearset still doing the job here.

Ya, I'm not too sure that you can pick a specific # of runs on a timing chain before you replace it. 6 BANGER broke his on his initial drives as I understand it from his post. My friend broke his on the highway at 50 mph a week after he got it running. Mine broke after just a few passes ... so can you trust a chain at all when you start building power like we expect. I don't think so. I'm certainly not going to.

Don, I'd be interested in knowing what, if anything, you did special and different to get your Milodon gearset working for you as well as it does.
Did you use the mounting plate attachment points exactly as described in the included instructions ? I know you have added extra oiling to the gears but the mounting points seem a little weak to me.:eek:

Thanks for your input

George

Ya, I'm not too sure that you can pick a specific # of runs on a timing chain before you replace it. 6 BANGER broke his on his initial drives as I understand it from his post. My friend broke his on the highway at 50 mph a week after he got it running. Mine broke after just a few passes ... so can you trust a chain at all when you start building power like we expect. I don't think so. I'm certainly not going to.

Don, I'd be interested in knowing what, if anything, you did special and different to get your Milodon gearset working for you as well as it does.
Did you use the mounting plate attachment points exactly as described in the included instructions ? I know you have added extra oiling to the gears but the mounting points seem a little weak to me.:eek:

Thanks for your input

George
I'm sure I've discussed it in a previous thread. I know there's a thread in the fab section.

whats the issue with the gears?

why are so many quick to downplay?

ive used mine sucessfully pending I followed Mikes instructions to a "T"

A.j.

timing chains

was any of these broken chains rollmaster?
i have 400 lbs pressure on the seat and 890 lbs open,
last 16 years i have never broken a chain or gear,
i use rollmaster,
i also have two gear drives out of indy engines that i never have used
never figured i needed them,
everone to their own,
good luck oc,

Timing chain info.

Lots of great info from the guys who have had good luck and bad. What make and model geardrives are the successful guys using. The belt drive setup seems like the cats nutz, just alittle out of my price range until I can sell my 87 T-package V8 car. Keep the info and experiences coming, I'm sure there is quite a few of us taking into consideration everyone's experiences.

was any of these broken chains rollmaster?
i have 400 lbs pressure on the seat and 890 lbs open,
last 16 years i have never broken a chain or gear,
i use rollmaster,
i also have two gear drives out of indy engines that i never have used
never figured i needed them,
everone to their own,
good luck oc,

(QUOTE ) was any of these broken chains rollmaster?

If you talk with Nick Mcale, I believe that the majority of the broken chains were in fact Rollmasters. A couple of years ago, Nick took on a project of collecting a bunch of broken Rollmasters and sending then back to Rollmaster for inspection. I don't think he got any response. Perhaps Nick could chime in here and give us the results first hand.;)

George

I wonder how much lobe profiles play into the level of harmonics experienced by the chains?

@ O.P> Was the crank a Crower? The reason i ask is that my chain broke, and upon teardown it was determined that the front face of the #1 main journal (where the crank gear touches it) wasn't machined properly, and the chain was touching the journal, causing it to deteriorate quickly.

I was justgetting my car back on the roadd and ready to tune and on simple acceleration my timing chain broke destroying the front cover, bending valves and marring the tops of the pistons......

Could you post what brand of timing set broke the chain?

The broken chains were sent to Rollmaster, and apparently they could care less. :mad:

I have talked with Cloyes and TA about a stronger which we are now testing. At least they care. :)

This new chain does fit on Rollmaster gears. :cool:

Have the gear drives had any failures/ problems?
Anything can fail.
From all the books and other material that I could get my hands on about the subject of what cam timing system is best for high performance use with a Buick V6, it always appeared the geardrive was the preferred system.

Was anyone using the factory timing chain tensioner when the chain broke.I always use the tensioner,no back lash and softens the harmonics.Anyone using a rev kit?.

Was anyone using the factory timing chain tensioner when the chain broke.I always use the tensioner,no back lash and softens the harmonics.Anyone using a rev kit?.

Everything I have ever seen says only use the tensioner with the stock chain. If you go aftermarket, the chains eat the tensioner up. Have seen it myself on a salvage motor I picked up. Ate the tensioner, spring, and ended up eating up the nylon gears due to the slop.

How many miles you have on your chain with tensioner, and what chain?

Everything I have ever seen says only use the tensioner with the stock chain. If you go aftermarket, the chains eat the tensioner up. Have seen it myself on a salvage motor I picked up. Ate the tensioner, spring, and ended up eating up the nylon gears due to the slop.

How many miles you have on your chain with tensioner, and what chain?

4 Years worth of driving,and the last 7 or 8 buick builds that i have done all had a tensioner.Some with billet timing sets some with your standard double row timing sets.No failures yet .I even use them on my big block Chevy motors.

I have had good luck so far with the timing chain never broke one . The other problem is the distributor drive gear the get tore up too pushing metal thru the motor . The way i see it if it rubs or is out of alighnment it will break . I can tell you that rollmaster was bought by another company (jp)they had alot of failures in the 3800 market most ppl stopped using rollmaster or aftermarket chains in general . These chain will strech pretty fast i did one motor with maybe 25 passes and the chain was already loose . I replaced it with a iwis chain and its been good since .

I am running some big spring pressures on my triple springs with no issues with the timing chain.
I was however warned by Ken D about issues with chains breaking at heavy spring pressures.