Need timing chain cover

87gnguy

Found out today that I need a timing chain cover. I had a mechanic (one I'm not familiar with) replace my oil pan gasket and they broke off the center front bolt on the oil pan. They wont admit they did it and after arguing with with owner's wife, I'm just going to fix it my damn self. I should have done it to begin with but I'm just tired of working on this car for a little while. Anyway, my question is: Isn't there a timing chain cover made by someone that has already been ported for better oil flow and with the front main seal that is installed from the front instead of the rear? If so, who has them? I've been looking at our vendors websites and can't find even a stock replacement one. I've found one on other websites but I'd rather support our vendors. I know I've seen them before, I just can't remember where. I've done several forum searches, but not luck there either. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Casey

Earl or TA, I just installed one of Earls today on my new motor, comes all together, new seal in the front all mods done to it, I just dumped oil down the two holes and used my primer tool til I made a nice mess of oil coming out the upper hole, on a side not, any one know what the metric size bolts are on the 3 holes in the V of the T Cover, thanks.

Ron

Earl or TA, I just installed one of Earls today on my new motor, comes all together, new seal in the front all mods done to it, I just dumped oil down the two holes and used my primer tool til I made a nice mess of oil coming out the upper hole, on a side not, any one know what the metric size bolts are on the 3 holes in the V of the T Cover, thanks.

Ron

Thanks, I'll get with him. I know the bolts on my V of the T Cover are 10mm.

10mm is the bolt head size, need the thread size.

Oh, well I'll be finding that out next week when I take mine off. I'm missing one (it's probably broke off in the TC cover) and know a guy at Fastener Services here in town. So I'll let you know what size threads if you haven't found out by then.

Hey Ron. According to the guy I got my bolt from. The timing chain/oil pan bolts are 1/4 inch thread. Mine bolt didn't break off. It got stripped out by the mechanic and fell out of the hole. So I had stepped up the bolt size to 5/16 with self cutting threads to hopefully fix the problem. Since it's the bolt just to the passenger side of the middle one on the front of the pan, I can't get my tap in there. Hope this helps.

Casey

That is correct, I just found out yesterday after trying different bolts, and mine is a 1/4-20, thanks, so it is probably fair to say that most if not all are 1/4", but the one on my car which I have had off a time or two took a 10mm socket, so when I do the new motor this winter I will see if my original one is metric or not!! thanks again

Ron

Good luck with that Ron. I put the upsized bolt in tonight. It took a little while to cut the threads cause I had to keep backing it out and retorquing it. I think it worked no oil dripping exept for what was still in the cross member. If this works, I'll be the first thing I've done to this car that hasn't fought me all the way...lol. Good luck with your new motor. We just got my buddy's back in his car for the 2nd time and so far so good.

You knowit just amazes me that people strip out bolts, especially a mechanic, it a bolt or not does not go on a easy as 2 peas in a pod with out force, do not use force,DUH, there must be something wrong, oh just screw it just put a cheater bar on it and it will go on easier, lol.

Ron

Well, you know what they say, "if you want it done right, do it your damn self". That's been good advice for me over the years. I have only found 1 mechanic that's worth a damn in my whole town and over the years, I've tried several.

metric head with standard threads? is this correct? i was under the impression that if u had a metric head u had a metric bolt (threads included?) :confused: idk, am I wrong?

I always thought that too. However, I went to a place here in town called Fastener Services. They got bolts and fasteners for EVERYTHING. I took the bolt to their chart on the wall and it threaded into the 1/4 inch threads on the chart even though the bolt had 10mm head on it. I couldn't argue with that. I'm not sure, but I think they get the 1/4 inch part from measuring the distance accross the bolt from one side of the tread to the other.