Show me your External Oiling System!

dr_frankenstein

Mad Scientist
If you run a DLS, AMP, White Racing, Duttweiler.... Etc etc. I would like to see pics of it, Im trying to decide if it will work for my application.

Thanks all.

A.j.

ted your set up looks killer! dls has some nice stuff!! my oilpump is so low and behind the header that photos do nogood.

just see the front of it

Attachments

• HPIM0924.jpg
    HPIM0924.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 834
Sweet! Those are the new 100% natural Florida Orange air filters right? I hear they make your exaust smell like citrus farts:D Nice setup

Here is a photo of the DLS external pump prior to installing all the hoses to it. THis is when I had the body of the chassis and was confirming everything was going to fit well. As you can see in this photo I used a stock timing cover with a high volume oil pump spacer attached to it. I was just making sure everything was going to fit properly.

One of the easons I prefer the DLS system over the others is because having all the hoes exit from the bottom allows everything to fit much nicer.

Later on when I actually built the engine I installed a DLS timing cover and oil pan when I built the engine.

Attachments

• oil_pump_2.jpg
    oil_pump_2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 810
Wow

that intercooler works so well you need a blanket to keep it warm??
I'm impressed!

what happens in vegas, stays in vegas! :eek:

A.J. what are you working on?

Well im actually working on 2 projects right now, the main one that i was looking at this for was my VW dune buggy. The problem is oilpan clearance. I originally set the chassis up to clear a chevy V6 so the the center drop of the buick pan wont clear some of the roll cage - and I dont want to cut into the cage. So the plan was to swap the sump to a Chevy V6 style and use the external oilpump system to avoid building the pick up needed to match the pan.

My other thinking was that with a modifyed pan and the external oiling system the engine wouldnt have to drink through almost 2' of pickup with all of the bends and what not to match the new sump - having a 2' long pickup sounds like a poor idea to me with all of the buick oiling problems.

I could go drysump, which is the best answer for the situation - but its damn expensive for a motor that will probably only make 350HP and be used for summer time play anyways.

That help any?

A.j.

Moving the sump (fabbing a new sump) and fabbing a new pick-up is pretty easy, and cheap. PM me if you are not in a hurry and need help. Just about any fab shop should be able to handle it, though.

Moving the sump (fabbing a new sump) and fabbing a new pick-up is pretty easy, and cheap. PM me if you are not in a hurry and need help. Just about any fab shop should be able to handle it, though.

the fabrication isnt what i was worried about, but the length of the pickup ...

I just dont feel comfortable with a pickup that long, Do you think thats acceptible? I honestly dont have alot of faith in the stock Buick oiling system and so I thought that the upgrade was worth the money.

Is there any other opinions about the pickup length?

Maybe im just paranoid.

A.j.

Here is a photo of the DLS external pump prior to installing all the hoses to it. THis is when I had the body of the chassis and was confirming everything was going to fit well. As you can see in this photo I used a stock timing cover with a high volume oil pump spacer attached to it. I was just making sure everything was going to fit properly.

One of the easons I prefer the DLS system over the others is because having all the hoes exit from the bottom allows everything to fit much nicer.

Later on when I actually built the engine I installed a DLS timing cover and oil pan when I built the engine.

Gotta get the hoes to exit lol.

I use the DLS unit too. The only draw back is the prices for all the fittings needed. You also have to drill the block and timing cover to make everything work.

You also have to drill the block and timing cover to make everything work.

Care to elaborate on the required work?

A.j.

To everybody else, yea I like to ask ALOT of questions. so if I get annoying feel free to let me know- i'll shut up.

The oil feed into the block goes in where the factory oil pressure and turbo feed fitting is. You have to block the oil feed passages in the front cover.

My setup goes like this:

-12 from the oil pan sump to pump. -10 from pump to the remote oil filter housing. -10 to the side of the block. I have a XRP brand fitting that screws into the block there which also has the small 3/8" npt hole for the oil pressure gauge. I use a -4 line from the oil filter housing to the turbo. I beleive the pump bypass hose is either -8 or -6...I forget with one. That dumps in to the front of the pan, but I have seen some people dump it into the fuel pump block off plate.

DLS oil pump set up.

Kevin is correct. Here is how I set mine up.

I used a 37\64 drill bit and tapped the block out to 3/8NPT for the oil supply. This is where the factory oil pressure sensor and turbo oil feed line were located. Then place a 3/8NPT to a -10 fitting into this hole. This will now supply the engine all of its vital oil.

Then you need to plug off the factory oil supply hole either in the block or the timing cover. (I chose to plug the timing cover).

The pick up hose is a -12. The oil supply hoses from the pump to the filter and from the filter the oil supply fitting in the block are -10. The by pass hose is -8.

Here is a photo which will probably better explain it

Attachments

• oil_pump.jpg
    oil_pump.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 661
Same that is some great discriptive work. I'll have to have you shoot some pics of my stuff, I forget what goes where... :biggrin:

Oh, you forgot the AMS-1000 controller. :eek: