should i rebuild turbo or buy new one

bama-t-type

hello looking for some help just bought a 85 t type-- turbo is bad bushing wore and turbine is fubar but car runs good just no boost:( car has 50# injectors , 87 ecm , sperco fmic ,3inch down pipe, data logger , scanmaster .translater plus, lt1 maf , 2800 vigilante convertor, i think the turbo is a .63 cheeta but not sure still has the hot air intake on car was tring to decide if i should rebuild this turbo or buy a new one . i plan on converting over to 86-87 intake but can't do it right now. any suggestions would be helpful thanks

That turbo could be rebuilt for around $500 IF the turbine didnt chew the inside of the housing up. Since you said the turbine is fubar, either had to be rubbing the housing or got some debris in there. Either way theres probably some housing issues now. I'd look real close, if the housing is toast I think you'd be better off using it for a core. Wish I had a better sounding answer for you.

send it to one of the turbo companies and see how much they will charge to fix it or make it bigger. then go from there

hello looking for some help just bought a 85 t type-- turbo is bad bushing wore and turbine is fubar but car runs good just no boost:( car has 50# injectors , 87 ecm , sperco fmic ,3inch down pipe, data logger , scanmaster .translater plus, lt1 maf , 2800 vigilante convertor, i think the turbo is a .63 cheeta but not sure still has the hot air intake on car was tring to decide if i should rebuild this turbo or buy a new one . i plan on converting over to 86-87 intake but can't do it right now. any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Depending on your goal and set-up, you could get a good used turbo for now untill you get ready to convert. If the turbine is shot, and the housing is scored, it gets expensive.

That turbo could be rebuilt for around $500 IF the turbine didnt chew the inside of the housing up. Since you said the turbine is fubar, either had to be rubbing the housing or got some debris in there. Either way theres probably some housing issues now. I'd look real close, if the housing is toast I think you'd be better off using it for a core. Wish I had a better sounding answer for you.

X2 :cool:

well

i think i am going to send it to esp products. problem is im not sure what i got i know it a turbonetics turbo but thats it and would like to get this car to run at least mid to low 12s