Should I mess with stock turbo?

rmorrell

Long story short, my engine is out and I am replacing bearings.

Question: Is it a mistake to put my stock turbo back on the new motor or should I think about a rebuild or different turbo.. The turbine shaft has no play and turbo appears good. Motor has 60,000 miles. I would hate to have all this time in the engine and then have the turbo fail.

Thanks.

Are you just doing bearings in the engine or a total rebuild? The reason why I ask is installing a fresh turbo on a freshly built engine ususally results in some pretty bad "trash" running through the turbocharger. The trash is nothing more than normal engine break in particles, cast iron from the rings seating, camshaft break in debris and the normal material that gets removed as the engine breaks in.

If you are going to replace/rebuild the turbo, put a "turbo saver" or pre filter on the turbochargers oil feed line to help keep this material from going through the new turbocharger.

Your other option is to break in the new engine on the old turbo, then send the turbo off to be rebuilt later. All of the fine scratches on the journal bearings, turbine shaft and bearing housing will be removed when the turbo gets serviced.

The chances of the old turbo creating any problems with your new engine are usually pretty low, as long as it is good shape without any wheel rubbing or other major problems.

Hope this helps,
Reed

Are you just doing bearings in the engine or a total rebuild? The reason why I ask is installing a fresh turbo on a freshly built engine ususally results in some pretty bad "trash" running through the turbocharger. The trash is nothing more than normal engine break in particles, cast iron from the rings seating, camshaft break in debris and the normal material that gets removed as the engine breaks in.

If you are going to replace/rebuild the turbo, put a "turbo saver" or pre filter on the turbochargers oil feed line to help keep this material from going through the new turbocharger.

Your other option is to break in the new engine on the old turbo, then send the turbo off to be rebuilt later. All of the fine scratches on the journal bearings, turbine shaft and bearing housing will be removed when the turbo gets serviced.

The chances of the old turbo creating any problems with your new engine are usually pretty low, as long as it is good shape without any wheel rubbing or other major problems.

Hope this helps,
Reed

Thanks for your input, just the main and rod bearings are being replaced, pistons are getting new rings and cylinders honed. Maybe this winter I will have the turbo rebuilt than.