Should I leave the oil pump alone? Its a leaker....

gtfrede

Designated LSX Hater
Just finished installing the motor that was assembled by Don Cruz and Im having issues with oil seeping from the oil pump that is entirely my fault...when I was trying to install the new motor mount on the passenger side of the motor (hammering a little on the through bolt) I accidently got a few very minor surface scratches on the front cover surface (no burrs and nothing major) I was afraid to do anything to it before I knew it would be a problem because of tolerances with the pump gears etc.

Its not leaving pools of oil but maybe a good 2 inch spot over night and is getting oil of course on crossmember etc.

Should I pull it apart and try and get it to seal or just live with it?

I dont want to change this front cover in case some majic oil mods were done during assembly

:(Are you saying that you hit the oil pump while swinging the hammer?
Make sure you did not crack the the cover! Also make sure the small bolts that hold the base are torqued to spec.. warning only do this with an inch pound torque wrench it is easy to over tighten these. My oil pump is weeping exactly as you described because the threads in one hole are less than stellar and it is not sealing properly. I have to put a heli-coil in it to fix it. Just wondering if you might have the same problem.

It's not how it sounds...it was a few fine grazing marks not a direct impact of any sort on just the outer edge...I'm going to check torque and install new gasket with a super fine dusting of rtv on surface (next to none) and reinstall

Yeah I just hope it fixes it :)

It was so slow I was contemplating letting it be...hence the purpose of the thread but the more I think about it the more it bothers me so I will update when I get to trying to fix it

Probably just a small burr on the sealing surface from the impact. :-( I would not use silicone. Use a gasket spray if you feel better using it.

Either way, i hate oil leaks!
Remove the cover, and with a new fine file, lightly and evenly rub the sealing surface. You will feel the burr. Thoroughly clean, asseble, torque, prime, reset cam sensor, and start.

No silicone. Use a spray such as copper coat.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Its not that simple of a job to do. Don't just change the gasket, add silicone and bolt it up. You have to pull the cam sensor, prime the motor again, reinstall the cam sensor and set it. You don't want to fire a motor with no oil pressure, don't trust that it still has a prime.

Would it not have the same prime as if it had set for a while? Or if a filter without a anti drainback had been used?

I was going to do it and repack with Vaseline and crank without fuel pump till the oil pressure light went out.

Would this not be sufficient?

No it's not the same. To replace the gasket on the oil pump you have exposed the gears that prime it. The pump no longer has a prime after you open it up.To take a chance and start a motor with no oil pressure is senseless. Don't cut corners when dealing with the life line of your motor. Think of it this way, what are you saving by not doing it? and what are you saving by doing it?..........

You make a strong case I will have to plan some more time for this then because it is my dailydriver at the moment and I don't really want to take shortcuts

While it's still on the car and leaking, clean the crap out of it, get everything spotless and dry, dry, dry. Then make sure it's leaking at the gasket. You might end up unpleasantly surprised.

Using sealant on that gasket is a one way ticket to a leaker. But I can't imagine one way a hammer blow could compromise that gasket if it was installed correctly.

You're going down a slippery slope here. If you shotgun the gasket, lock your pump up and put it back together, you'll be worse off than when you started.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt to pull the cover when the filter adapter bolts are 'right there', but the only way to fix it right is to pull it, put it on a bench, and do it start to finish.

The pump was apart when I was putting the motor in the car...that's when the grazing happened and I elected to put it together after close inspection hoping for the best...I'm going to brake clean the Heck out of it and inspect it very closely before doing anything further ...it may be the corner intake leak just running down the front cover

Keep in mind this thing is less than 3,000 miles on a whole new motor....fresh everything....came as a complete longblock with front cover and water pump already installed...oil pump cover was just loose because it needed packed and primed before firing.....it's the only thing besides the intake I had to install....

Conveniently enough those are the only two things leaking lol

That's spooky. If it's a chinese cover the gears are countersunk below flush so you don't have to worry about making the pump too tight. It's not possible to have tight endplay clearances.

If you rolled up a booger on the corner of the gasket surface that's an easy fix. The gaskets are only a few thou think so it don't take much of a burr to completely take away your gasket crush.