Shipping UPS to Canada from the U.S.

RITTER

RegalLimited
So I am shipping to Canada for the first time and I was told that I have to have a phone number for the recipient.

If y'all have shipped to Canada before please let me know what all information you need to ship?:confused:

I sense I am being accused of lying to the person I am trying to ship to because of this.:confused:

You're not being accused of anything...I'm in Canada and when I ship something to the US, there is a square on the shipping form to write my phone number, so no big deal. I think the reason for that is that they got to have a way to reach you if there's an issue with your parcel...:smile: No need to worry...:wink:

Claude. :)

Last time I shipped to the north white I lost my shirt because of the higher fees, I figured $30. But it ended up being $85. To ship and I thought the receipiant would reimburse me some of the extra charges but wouldn't even answer my emails , so no more shipping to Canada for me.

Yes, UPS will charge customs and duty fees when it gets to the border. Most CN people like you to use the US postal service instead.

Shipping UPS to Canada

Trust me the only people getting ripped off are the Canadians recieving parts from the U.S. shipped by UPS :mad: I just bought a set of aftermarket headlight bezels. Paid $150, then had to pay the UPS driver $43.50 in brokerage fees! I buy a lot of parts from the States, and always make sure the parts are shipped USPS. This way I don't get raped when the parts arrive. I was assured by the seller these bezels would be shipped USPS. He then sent the parts UPS, and left me to pay these brokerage fees. So Ritter, unless you want the gentleman in Canada to pay thru the nose when he recieves the parts you are sending him, I would suggest you send the parts USPS. Just a thought. Shipping, whether we are recieving ,or sending is an oportunity to be ripped off in Canada. Sad but just the way it is. I want to take this time to thank all the members who have taken the time and effort to understand our predicament, and sent parts thru USPS to save us the trouble of paying brokerage fees. Dave

Added Fees

I ordered a thermocouple module, about the size of a pack of cigarettes and because of the value UPS charged a 96.00 brokerage fee. That is on top of the freight that the seller paid. If I can't get it sent USPS I usually have to pass.

Last time I shipped to the north white I lost my shirt because of the higher fees, I figured $30. But it ended up being $85. To ship and I thought the receipiant would reimburse me some of the extra charges but wouldn't even answer my emails , so no more shipping to Canada for me.

Same here , i was figuring 25 bucks or so, was over 40. I will not ship to canada again unless they pay it all, just costs to much and you can only track it to the boarder with usps. After that there is no way to see if they got it or not.

The secret is in the declared value.. and using the postal service.. I learned the hard way too.

I ordered a thermocouple module, about the size of a pack of cigarettes and because of the value UPS charged a 96.00 brokerage fee. That is on top of the freight that the seller paid. If I can't get it sent USPS I usually have to pass.

Exactly, I paid UPS (my wife did!!) $65 for a $5 USED Brake line!
US Post or no deal. Mark the value low but insure it high. That way we pay the vale & not the insured value. Mark it worth $50 & insure for $500 Its $1 per $100 insurance here but maybe more in the US. I'll Gladly pay the shipper the extra to say its worth $50

South of the Border

Sorry to hear about the experiences south of the border. Speaking for myself, I have had things not show up, the odd thing damaged.(I actually had a mint instrument cluster shipped in an envelope-ebay) I end up eating them as I trust the sellers, particularly on this board have shipped the item. I must say I have bought many things with no problems on either side of the transaction from individuals and vendors. I never ask anyone to phoney the value and I always let the seller know if the freight is more than expected I will reimburse them. I hope we all don't get tarred with the same brush. Generally mailing to Canada is the same as it the US. The difference is the shipper just has to attach a liittle green sticker that the post office will give you that states the value. If its a commercial item the paperwork is just a different form. I check USPS.com so the shipping cost on an item isn't a complete shock. There are also some deals out there on the flat rates boxes.
When I lived in Vancouver BC I used a Post Office Box in Blaine Washington. Now that I live in Edmonton I use Montana Shipping Outlet in Sweetgrass Montana. Its a day trip back and forth. I have a set of wheels and tires waiting there for me. 200.00 shipped from Knoxville, I thought that was pretty good.

UPS is the worst from my experiance. I always try to get things shipped postal. If it has to go UPS it better be a "warranty return"

UPS is the worst from my experiance. I always try to get things shipped postal. If it has to go UPS it better be a "warranty return"

Usually those go thru but not 100% of the time. UPS wants their cut for brokerage & will try any way they can to get it! They Suck!!!

So I am shipping to Canada for the first time and I was told that I have to have a phone number for the recipient.

If y'all have shipped to Canada before please let me know what all information you need to ship?:confused:

I sense I am being accused of lying to the person I am trying to ship to because of this.:confused:

Hey Aaron, I wasnt accusing you of lying I just said that I have bought things without a assocaited phone number before:p Its really no big deal if UPS needs a phone number:) well this is feedback.. You did say it would be shipped right away and it wasnt.. 2 weeks later asking if it was shipped you told me.."I have to dig it out my friends storage ill ship it tomorow" ok so it still didnt get shipped:frown: 20 days later your asking for a phone# :rolleyes:

Yeah I admit it took me a too long to ship it out, that was my bad.

It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would have been. Granted the entire package weighed like a pound (mostly packaging)

Did you get it alright?

I HAVE TRIED DEALING WITH CANADIANS... I GAVE UP WHEN IT COMES TO SHIPPING NORTH.

I have bent over backwards and they get mad at us.

It there country & rules & laws that tax the shiz out of them. Some deals go good & some not so good. Generally the bigger the item with UPS they do put a tarrif or surcharge on items. Again not my fault.

Some folks will have families or PO boxes just over the border and will fetch the stuff when they visit the USA. Works for me.

I HAVE TRIED DEALING WITH CANADIANS... I GAVE UP WHEN IT COMES TO SHIPPING NORTH.

It there country & rules & laws that tax the shiz out of them. Some deals go good & some not so good. Generally the bigger the item with UPS they do put a tarrif or surcharge on items. Again not my fault.

Some folks will have families or PO boxes just over the border and will fetch the stuff when they visit the USA. Works for me.

I'm up here in the Great White North...and I've purchased from Grumpy...M233ROLLER...BISON and others on here with zero hassles. All you guys have to do is ship it via USPS...mark it as a used auto part...with a $50.00 value. It's that simple...honestly.

Fees Please

L6P its not the taxes we are complaining about it’s the fees UPS charge us to collect the taxes.

I live in Alberta where there is NO sales tax. You in Illinois pay 6.25%. California is the highest at 8.25%. (edit-sorry I see you are in NH,also no sales tax) What I do pay is 5% federal tax GST.

So for my 500.00 module UPS charged me 96.00 in fees to collect 25.00 in sales tax. The Post office on our end charges a flat rate $5.00 to collect the tax. USPS it would have cost me a total of $30.00 instead of $121.00. For me to not to be charged an additional $81.00 all you have to do is attach a sticker at the post office so they know what to charge me.

I work out of town so I use a mail service. They have my credit card info and when a package arrives they pay whatever fees are due.

My apologies to the OP, I’m glad to see they got things worked out.
This turned out to be a rant about the courier companies jabbing us. It is free trade (NFTA ) between our counties there are no duties or tariffs .

I understand the your angst, it is a little more work to ship to us northerners but I appreciate the efforts of all who have sold to me. Wish we had a couple canadian vendors that carried TR parts up here ...........

I think people should deal with the person as an indivual so the rest of the good buick lovers dont get a bad name, with that being said BEWARE of the RITTER as he agreed to ship the plastic lenses that cover the gauges for 60us shipped... after stalling for almost a month with telling me it would be shipped.. closer to the 45 day paypal limmit now :mad: the item shows up via UPS and to my surprise he shipped it C.O.D.:mad:$55.89:mad: needless to say this item is going back to the LOSER that sent it.. YES that is you AARON. Well I have said my peace so please buick community remeber RITTER= BAD