Shipping Tires w/Wheels....Best Way? How to Pack?

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I've heard that FedEx will accept a tirew/wheel in a plastic garbage bag and that shipping is ~$20. Anyone confirm this? Is there a better way? I have 4 GTA wheels w/mounted tires that I need to ship.
Conrad

I've heard that FedEx will accept a tirew/wheel in a plastic garbage bag and that shipping is ~$20. Anyone confirm this? Is there a better way? I have 4 GTA wheels w/mounted tires that I need to ship.
Conrad
I just had 4 wheels & tires shipped here for a customers restoration project and they came via fedex...

Each wheel & tire face were covered with a round piece of cardboard (Circles) and wrapped with duct tape to hold the cardboard circles in place, this is to protect the face of the wheel & tire.

Then each one was placed into a box that fit the wheel & tire perfectly then the box's were taped up like crazy and labeled 1 of 4 and so on.

I personally would go to a wheel & tire store and get some boxes from them to use for shipping.

Best way is heavy cardboard circles strapped in several directions. You can also use stretch wrap with the cardboard circles, but be sure to add tape outside the stretch wrap, to better hold it in place. I have the circles if you can't find them locally.
I'd be surprised if it was only $20. I just quoted 2 front springs and it was $35 to TX.

I just sold a set of 4 wheels with tires mounted on them that I packed myself an shipped to Virginia and it cost $300. at UPS.

Claude.

cardboard circles and the stretch wrap wrapped around a whole bunch of times. I didnt have to box or anything. i used ups.

scot w. said:
I just had 4 wheels & tires shipped here for a customers restoration project and they came via fedex...

Each wheel & tire face were covered with a round piece of cardboard (Circles) and wrapped with duct tape to hold the cardboard circles in place, this is to protect the face of the wheel & tire.

Then each one was placed into a box that fit the wheel & tire perfectly then the box's were taped up like crazy and labeled 1 of 4 and so on.

I personally would go to a wheel & tire store and get some boxes from them to use for shipping.

I was the shipper Scot was referring to and I literally reused all of the shipping material from my CCW wheel shipment.
There was also a sheet of packing padding underneath each piece of cardboard.
My CCW wheels still got a small ding from shipping so i would double up on the cardboard on the face side.
Shipping was just over $200 from Florida to Pennsylvania via ground transportation.

I was the shipper Scot was referring to and I literally reused all of the shipping material from my CCW wheel shipment.
There was also a sheet of packing padding underneath each piece of cardboard.
My CCW wheels still got a small ding from shipping so i would double up on the cardboard on the face side.
Shipping was just over $200 from Florida to Pennsylvania via ground transportation.

Hi Bob, when you got your wheels from CCW. was it just the wheels or with tires mounted?

You gotta protect the wheels and tires a little better than just a garbage bag. Check out howtoshipwheels.com for all the little details.

Conrad,

Forget the shipping, I smell a road trip. Let's jump in the rig and take off!

Regards,
John

I just shipped GTA wheels with tires to NY from FL. Each rim with tire was right at 48lbs. I covered the rim face with cardboard and bought some giant cellophane wrap from Lowes for about 20 a roll. Shipping was ~50 a wheel FEDEX Ground.