Shipping rates WOW!!!

TNTSNBS

Demoralizer
was going to buy a block off plate from a vendor, but when i saw the shipping rates decided to cancel, damn plate is 14 dollars, shipping 11 dollars, thats outrageously high, i can ship the same item to the same state for around 3 dollars via USPS and certified mail...

Call the vendor to order. A lot of the online shipping calculators are way off the actual shipping charge.

I know my on-line merchants shipping calculator is whacked and I have to refund money all the time due to their stupid set up but when it calculates an astronomical amount I just refund the overage back to the customer. Many times vendors use UPS and I think there is a minimum (kind of like flat rate) on small items (under 3lbs) and it usually starts around $10.00.... I just received a email from UPS last year towards the end of the year stating that ALL of their charges will be increasing by 3-5%. Another thing is "Drop shipping", many vendors sell products made by other vendors and their shipping rates may very compared to lets say mine..

We try to ship via USPS every chance we get but some of the companies we deal with like DSE, Etc only use one shipping company and that's it so that is what we have to use for our customers.

Years ago before we ever went into business I bought a audible knock gauge from Casper's and the shipping charge was like $10.00 or more and I was appalled but now after being in business I know exactly why it's like that. It's due to a minimum weight charge in their shipping set up, example is this:

If I set my "Minimum weight" to let's say 3lbs = $11.00 even the stuff weighing less goes out for that same charge! but on the flip side of that coin the next weight charge may be set at 6lbs = $13.00 then everything between 3 & 6 goes out for $11.00 and it's possible that us vendors can even Loose money on shipping. That happens to us all of the time and that's one thing we are re-doing this year and due to UPS raising their charges we also have to follow suit otherwise we keep loosing money...

I am sure many more vendors here can relate and also add to this conversation with how they have their shipping set up but I bet i'm pretty close...

SW.

I just got a a 7" square box that weighed 2lbs from a vender on this site. I was charged $23 shipping on $100 worth of parts. I was a bit shocked to say the least.

I just received a set of front fiberglass bumper fillers from Danco. $35.00 shipping & handling. Didn't even put any shipping material in the box, only the bumper fillers. About 4 weeks to get here, too.

these cars are becoming an expensive nightmare to buy parts for and work on....besides getting raped for "specialty" parts, that don't fit, have to be modified, cost a fortune.. ( read: ta headers( $750, had to remove and install 5 times, and file by hand, to get bolt holes to line up to: champion gn 1 alum heads($2400-2700???) that: i had to chase a misfire for 1 year and a half (weak valve springs on brand new heads, vendor swore there was nothing wrong with them, and still has the b@@ls to keep sending me an invoice for $35 for some b.s after i've spent about 10G to straighten out problems from installing his parts)(car ran solid low 11's all day long with all bolt ons, bone stock long block before) $215 jw flywheel that had to be modified to fit $650 eagle crank because 1 bolt hole wouldn't line up..... and they want to try to slam you for shipping too....and double if you have to return an incorrect or failed part?!?!?!?!?!?!

Bought a power plate from a certain vendor (none of the above posters), another time a drain tube, same vendor. Both times it was around $20 shipping. Years later when others were complaining about this vendor's shipping, I brought it up. He tried to state that the actual shipping charge was less than what the website said. Interesting, since my credit card was still charged the full amount. Needless to say, I don't buy from them anymore.

I just sent a 28# box to IN. through UPS. The shipping cost was $45! This included insurance but that only added a couple of bucks. The box wasn't oversized or anything else that would increase the cost, just heavy.

Damn diesel is expensive & is affecting the price of everything else.

~JM~

I just sent a box of two rear coil springs to Canada today via USPS and it cost $76.80 and the box was small enough that I had to interlace into one another to get them to fit! Needless to say I charged the Buick customer $30.00 so here is another loss for me! The last time I shipped springs to Canada it didn't cost that!! Shipping costs are really going up and the reason for the high price on very small items is because of the minimum shipping weight charges.

Central Freight charged me $440 to ship a Richmond 6-speed to NJ. That's what I get for going beyond the original packaging by making a wooden skid for it and agreeing upon a shipped price. It was 15 pounds too heavy to ship the normal method that would have cost several hundred dollars less. At least it arrived safely.

I just sent a box of two rear coil springs to Canada today via USPS and it cost $76.80 and the box was small enough that I had to interlace into one another to get them to fit! Needless to say I charged the Buick customer $30.00 so here is another loss for me! The last time I shipped springs to Canada it didn't cost that!! Shipping costs are really going up and the reason for the high price on very small items is because of the minimum shipping weight charges.

If you ship alot with the USPS, Express/Next Day/Priority, based on your volume, they will give you a break.

Anything under 13oz, they wont budge on price.

You will have to bug them to send a business rep out to you, but it may be worth it in the end.

We did over $1M last year, in shipping costs with the USPS, and they came out to us 2 days ago.

They are working on a proposal for us based on this volume.

We are looking at a 20%+ discount on rates..

No matter what, steer clear of UPS Innovations.

be thankfull your not in another country a guy from Australia wants to buy a vacuum brake booster and petal I'm selling both ups and fedex say $230 for a 12x12x8 box weighing 11lbs

Shipping costs have gotten pretty high. We get hit pretty hard sometimes on our radiators and even small packages like our HID Lights.

Here's a fun article http://www.ups.com/pressroom/us/pre...ci.UPS+Delivers+Record+4Q+Results.syndication

UPS Delivers Record 4Q Results
Press Release

Atlanta, January 31, 2012
Company Achieves New High in Full Year EPS; U.S. Domestic Segment Leads the Way

UPS (NYSE: UPS) today announced fourth quarter 2011 adjusted diluted earnings per share of $1.28, a 21% improvement over the prior-year period. Total revenue increased 6% to $14.2 billion and adjusted operating profit climbed 17% to more than $2 billion.
Last Friday, the company announced a change in pension accounting to a mark-to-market methodology. Adopted in the fourth quarter of 2011 and applied retrospectively, this new method resulted in after-tax charges in 2011 and 2010 of $527 million and $75 million, respectively. Also, in the prior-year period, UPS recorded a net after-tax gain of $32 million from the sale of certain non-core business units in the Supply Chain and Freight segment. On a reported basis, fourth quarter 2011 diluted earnings per share were $0.74, a decline of 28% from the same quarter last year.
For the full year 2011, UPS achieved a new high in adjusted diluted earnings per share at $4.35. On a reported basis, diluted earnings per share were $3.84.
"UPS delivered record fourth quarter results in volume, revenue and profitability," said Scott Davis, UPS chairman and CEO. "In short, the quarter was a testament to the power of UPS's global model and the company's ability to operate efficiently in evolving markets."

Seems as tho the rates are "whatever they feel like"...
Got a pair of 317 heads from Chicago..Over 50# ground $39.00
Ordered a Katech belt tensioner for the LSX... Less than 4# Detroit to Atlanta $18.75. That part would easily fit in a FREE, USPS Priority mailing box and cost <$10.00. It's pretty obvious that many shippers are "padding the profit", tax free, with outrageous fees.:(