Shifter Handel Problems?

rb68rr

I noticed the other day that I can now go from drive to reverse or even to park without pushing the button on my shifter! What's up? Don't want to accidently hit it and go into reverse on the fly!! Thanks, R.B.

It sounds like the plastic button in the shifter shaft is stuck down. Pretty easy fix. I don't remember the stock shifter ever having a reverse lockout feature. I seem to remember I only had to push the button to get it out of or into park. But it's been a while since I had the stock shifter, so I'm probably out to lunch... Mmmmmmm... LUNCH. :rolleyes:

Derrick

The shifter handle is stuck as tazgn said or the spring on the bottom of the shaft has broken or come off. Either way take the console plate off and take a look. Both are easy fixes.

You might try and take off the shift handle and adjust the plastic shift shaft. Turning the white shaft will adjust it up and down, which will stop the shaft from being pushed all the way down and sticking. This might be your first step before taking out the console.

Pull the handle off and look to see if a white plastic rod is sticking up out of the shaft or if it has dropped down.
More than likely the spring that pushes that rod up has broke.
It's a real easy fix. But you have to pull the console out.