shifter cable installation???

87GNattyKid

Hey does anyone have any pictures or step by step instructions on how to install the shifter cable on an 87 turbo t? I was told by a shop that the center console has to come apart, is that true or can I change the entire thing myself from under the car? Thanks

The center console shifter surround and shifter handle have to come off out. Heres a few steps off the top of my head to get you started...its fairly easy. Dont get gorilla with it

Under shifter handle is a horseshoe clip...remove
Pull handle straight up wiggling back and forth
Open ashtray door and pull ashtray out
Remove two phillips screws and lift rear of surround and the pull back and up to clear the front tabs that go under the front area of surround

Dont remember exactly what to remove next but its straight forward from there.

The cable sheath has a horshoe springclip that needs to come out and the cable end eyelet goes over the shifter stud thats retained by a cotter pin/ hitch clip.

It goes through a grommet that typically kinda wedged under the carpet there is one or two screws holding that in.

Under the car the cable sheath has a spring horse clip that needs to be removed and another lil hitch pin/clip on cable end eyelet.

Do a search for more info its been a little while since Ive done it but thats the jist

Yep! x2
If you want to remove entire console for a little more room there are 2 screws in the rear bottom of the console;
open lid & look down at the very back (they also allow you to adjust front/rear alignment a bit)
also watch out for the shifter light wire, it clips to the shifter bracket.
Feed cable from trans to console from outside, i used a long screwdriver to rotate sifter linkage on trans into park
watch for the little washers behind the cotter pins on each end
it takes longer to remove console stuff than to actually swap cable (I've done 6 lately... on the same car!:confused: )
Do_O

2 above posters are right plus there are 2 more 7mm screws that hold the console down to the shifter that you will find once you remove the shifter bezel.

and whatever you do be super careful or will be smashing the bottom of your console off. i know this and i still have broken a couple so i highly recommend laying it upside down because the bottom is very fragile.

also once the new cable is in sometimes you may need to readjust the linkage from the column to the tranny