shift points

1984grandnat

Hey guys, where do your cars normally shift at? I have noticed that if I let the tranny shift itself, it will shift at about 4000 to 4500 (MAX) rpm. Should I manually shift it, so that I can hold it into gear until it hits 5000? This is the stock valvetrain, and I'm not sure where it runs out of steam (or stability). Maybe I am missing out on some power by letting it shift too soon? I have taken it all the way up until I see the 1st red light on the tach, but am afraid to do that too much (unless that's okay?). I have never bounced it off the rev limiter.

AM I NOT DRIVING THIS CAR HARD ENOUGH???????:confused:

Just looking for something better than a 15.6 @ 90 mph....

...not too much to ask, is it?

They say 5000 is fine but i run mine in drive when i take it to the track. Your not running it in over drive at the track are you, this would kill your times to.

I would just leave it in drive to be safe. mine runs good times like this.

No, I don't let it get out of 3rd gear. Since I can only get my car to 90mph right now, no need to see 4th gear! :D

For a stock hotair 4,500 is about right. Locking the convertor also really helps on a stocker. Mine fell on it's face after 4,500. With the big turbo, ported heads and intake, and bigger cam, my car liked 5,200- 5,400rpm but I usually shifted at 5,000 for most races for reliability. I only broght it to the higher rpm for the tough ones. Another thing is the stock tach is usually off by a fair amount.

The car DOES have a few mods including:
ATR headers and crossover
BIG turbo (P-trim turbine in Precision .63 housing with 65 lb/min compressor wheel)
No cat, Hooker dual exhaust
ECM conversion
Alcohol injection
50lb injectors w/fuel system upgrades
Ram air kit
Bored TB

?

Lots of miles on a stock cam usually means bad lobes. I would pull valve covers and check rockers for full travel.

I have used a trans pressure gage to check pressure in drive and overdrive. No difference.

I run the comp cams 206-206 and it works pretty good for the street and track, also reds hot air has a speed pro cam i think that runs real good in his car.

Originally posted by crazygn
I run the comp cams 206-206 and it works pretty good for the street and track, also reds hot air has a speed pro cam i think that runs real good in his car.

Ditto on that cam... might be a good idea to do a comp and/or leakdown test to see if that's really what you wanna do with those miles on it. Bearings good? If the lobes are wiped thats another discussion but then all that metal running thru the system AND the new turbo... hmmm...

S