Shelling (protective paint) on lower body???

green95ss

Poor car collector
Hi All,

After 7 months, my car is ready for paint. Should I have the guy paint the car and then put that protective paint on the lower area of the car? I believe the car came with something like that from the factory. It looks like a bumpy, thick coating over the bottom 4-5 inches of each body panel. The body guy refers to it as "shelling" (I think). The car will be shown, but will also be driven around for fun.

If I do have him spray it on, how tall should it be?

Thanks in advance,

Guhan

It's called "rock guard"
It goes on before the paint and its purpose is to protect the metal, not the paint.
When the paint chips off (unavoidable if you drive the car) the rock guard protects the metal.

It was originally almost to the body line.
I like to spray mine just the width of the rocker panels...looks better that way ( to me)

Unless you were doing some sort of concourse restoration, I don't know why you would want this look below the body line. Super smooth finish is better.

He says he applies the rock guard after the paint is applied (the one he uses, at least). He would apply it lightly and gradually increase in thickness as it gets close to the bottom of the car.

Should I just have him do it the standard way (same thickness, just 4 inches from the bottom)? I think I will need to protect the body from rocks and chips, so I definitely want to use this protectant.

I had the rock guard put back on when I did my car. I actually looks pretty good on mine, but it does go on before the paint like mentioned.

I would recommend the rock guard if you drive your car, even if it is only once in a while. The lower part of the car is more prone to rock chips and unless you like to get out the touch up paint and protect those chips than you are looking for a place for it to start rusting. I have rock guard on all of my Regals and the Riviera's too and what I really like is I dont have to get down and dirty to keep the bottom as shiny as the top. Just a scrub with a brush when I wash them and thats about it. You can wax and put protectant over it to help preserve the finish.

A nice little trick I saw at the Nationals was a small piece of plexiglas cut into the shape of a miniature mud flap. The guy had them mounted in the same place as the mud flaps but made it half the size. I never saw it during the show until he pointed it out. Neat trick.

Originally posted by urhstry
A nice little trick I saw at the Nationals was a small piece of plexiglas cut into the shape of a miniature mud flap. ...
Interesting. "Lexan" (polycarbonate) isntead of ordinary "plexiglas" (acrylic) might be better, as Lexan is virtually unbreakable and uncrackable.