She is finally HOME!

Very Nice! Its great to see documentation, AND you gave me some ideas about trunk repair using everyday materials .Have Fun!

IllhaveaV6

So I received my early X-Mas gift today from my wife. A 3" Electric Cut out from Jegs. :cool:

As fate would have it, nothing is ever an easy installation.

The bolts on the Y-Pipe were too short to hold the cut out as it has a thick flange. I went to Lowes and picked up some Grade 8 bolts and locking nuts.
The motor on the cut out would not fit with the dump aimed out. I had to turn the Y-Pipe 180 degrees facing the dump towards the middle of the car.

I started with removing the Y-Pipe. What a filthy pipe!!! :poop:

cu3.jpg

Followed by a few minutes under the wire wheel.
cu2.jpg

Then sprayed with flat black header paint and cut out installed.
cu1.jpg

And bolted up!!
cu.jpg

Alright, on to the next project.

Just as I did the trunk, the floorboard was stripped, sanded, prepped, primed and painted.

Removed my interior yesterday and spent a few hours stripping the floorboard of adhesive, carpet backing and surface rust on the driver and front passenger floor.

This is what I started off with
oldpan.jpg

During the stripping process
strippedpan.jpg

and after the prep, primer and first coat of paint
newpan.jpg

More to follow as I progress. :)

I see you used the Megaures clay bar and compounds... How long did it take to bring that shine back?

I see you used the Megaures clay bar and compounds... How long did it take to bring that shine back?

After the first layer of compound.

The compound has micro abbrasives, mild cleaning agents and polishing oils/glaze, so it made it easy to moisturize the paint without marring it. Especially for a newbie like me.

You really have to seal the polish otherwise the oils will dry out and you'll be back to a dull car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Been doing a little work to the trunk. I am not 100% finished, but I am almost complete.

My trunk carpet was falling apart and there was that crumbled adhesive everywhere.

This picture shows the trunk after I removed the old carpet.
trunk.jpg

I started by using a wire wheel on my electric drill to knock off the paint and adhesive.
After several days after work I was able to remove all the old gunk and paint.
I then sanded the metal to get it ready for primer using 220 grit sand paper on an orbital sander.

This picture shows the trunk almost ready for paint.
trunk1.jpg

I went ahead and laid one coat of Metal Primer on the trunk followed by 3 coats of Rustoleum Professional Metal Semi Gloss Paint.
This is what it came out looking like.
trunk2.jpg

After the paint cured I moved on to putting carpet in the trunk.
I went to Lowes and bought carpet padding that way the carpet would be smooth and it would hide the ribs of the trunk. I used the old carpet as a cutting guide. I made sure to cut a little extra on the right side to cover up the spare tire hole.

The carpet padding.
pad.jpg

trunkpad.jpg

trunkpad2.jpg

When I was at Lowes, I also picked up 2' x 8' x 1/8" Project board. It's kind of like MDF but cheaper.
I used this to cut the panel that goes up against the rear seat and that will go on the sides. It was also used to cover up the spare tire hole.

Here is the project board.
board2.jpg

I purchased 6 yards of black felt from Wally World. It was pretty cheap and it has some stretch to it. I used the carpet padding as a cutting guide and cut a bit more to wrap it around the carpet padding.
I did the same for the panel that goes up against the rear seat. I cut the wheel wells separate.
I used Loctite High Performance Spray Adhesive that I picked up at Lowes as well to tack everything down.

This is how much I have completed. I still need to cut the side panels and wrap them in felt, and iron out any wrinkles to smooth the felt out.
felt.jpg

As soon as I finish I'll post up some new pictures.

i like how you did the trunk and might copy you, but where did you put the spare?

i like how you did the trunk and might copy you, but where did you put the spare?

Mat,

I rolled the spare down the street! Jk
It's been relocated in my garage.
If I ever drive my car far enough, I'll just throw it in the trunk.
The carpet padding keeps anything from rolling around.

Sorry for the crappy pic but the spare is easy to hide by building an angled box around it. Wider at the bottom sloped up towards the edge of the trunk with an edge that goes under the lip.

A little flap on the bottom with some velcro underneath and, viola' you're done.

That interior is looking good!

Attachments

• 104_1435.JPG
    104_1435.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 161
  • 104_1433.JPG
    104_1433.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Sorry for the crappy pic but the spare is easy to hide by building an angled box around it. Wider at the bottom sloped up towards the edge of the trunk with an edge that goes under the lip.

A little flap on the bottom with some velcro underneath and, viola' you're done.

Guy,

I would have never guessed that there was a spare tire hiding behind there!
niiiice!

i like that... is their a way, i can get a picture of the back side of that flap?
david,
i have the worst luck otherwise, i would take the spare out too.

I'm driving the car to work tomorrow so I'll try and snap some pics showing all the bends and angles.

Respond to this and I'll remember, otherwise, my old ass forgets what happened 5 minutes ago......:oops:

I'm driving the car to work tomorrow so I'll try and snap some pics showing all the bends and angles.

Respond to this and I'll remember, otherwise, my old ass forgets what happened 5 minutes ago......:oops:
ok, sounds good. i just want to see the pattern and how you did it... Thank You so much.

I am impressed ! Great way to hide the spare. Was thinking of leaving spare in garage because of weight. Was a donut available originally or full size only ?

IllhaveaV6

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 190
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 197
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 180
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 190
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 179
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 149
Congrats on a nicely done GN. Looks great brother. What part of NC are you from? I'm in NC also.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks. Im in Raeford. What about you?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, wife had surgery over Christmas & little girl was sick also. Hope you had a great Christmas & a Happy New year. I live in Catawba. About 45 min. north of Charlotte.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, wife had surgery over Christmas & little girl was sick also. Hope you had a great Christmas & a Happy New year. I live in Catawba. About 45 min. north of Charlotte.

Hope all is well with your daughter and your wife is headed to a trouble free recovery.

I've been to Charlotte, but only to drop someone off at the airport.

I checked out your build thread, your car looks very nice with the 17" Budniks.