She is finally HOME!

Ok guys, not a lot going on lately. I stepped up from a stock turbo to a TA49 with a .63 Garrett.
@Good2win22 gave me a great deal on this Turbo and couldn't pass it up.
I figured this would be the perfect time to clean up some of my parts while the Turbo was off.

Here is the engine bay after removing a few things.
eng.jpg

The old parts removed.
old.jpg

My Turbo arrived on Tuesday and everything is looking good.
oldpaint.jpg

Removed the Compressor housing to compare it to the stock wheels. Man this thing looks awesome.
comparison.jpg

Ok now down to the nitty gritty. I searched for quite a bit for Ceramic coaters here in Fayetteville, NC with no leads. I called a few Powder Coaters and they said they didn't deal with Ceramic and didn't know anyone in the area that did. Well shoot! I located a Ceramic coating company not too far from me that I can ship my parts to but they wanted a 2 week wait. I can't wait that long!

Upon doing further research it seems people were having great success with the VHT Flame Proof paint.
I figured I might as well give it a shot and we'll see how it holds up. I was a bit inspired by @SPOOLFOOL2 thread on how he Ports and Paints a Turbo.

I picked up a can of Primer SP100 and a can of color SP998 Cast Iron for 19 buckaronies.
vht.jpg

After using a wire wheel, sandpaper, oil/wax/grease remover and masking off certain areas, the parts were ready for Primer and Paint.
hanger.jpg

close.jpg

I sprayed on 3 coats of Primer with 10-15 minutes in between each coat. I let the Primer dry for a day and lightly sanded it with 600 grit sandpaper. I then sprayed 4 coats of Paint with 10-15 minutes in between each coat. I didn't want to cure the parts that would fit in my oven so I'll have to cure these on the car. Hope it holds up.

They don't look too bad.
new.jpg

closenew.jpg

Big thanks to John @Meg's Dad for his transportation services of the exhaust manifold and downpipe to Burlington, NC. I reached out to Pat @SloGN the founder of Broughton's Performance and he was able to clean up my warped flanges. Thanks guys! I owe you gentlemen a pair of Khaki pants. ;)
fla.jpg

I'm waiting for a few more parts to show up in the mail like a braided oil feed line from G Body Parts before I bolt everything up. I can't wait to fill the tank with some E85 and turn the boost up with this TA49!!!

That's looking good there! I'm sure it'll breathe much better with the larger turbo flow. Will be noticeable!

It'll be interesting to see if the paint holds up on the exhaust. I have NEVER had paint of any type hold up on an exhaust system. They all claim these very high temperature ratings, and the exhaust should only be 1000 - 1200°F max. However, the paint never seems to stay.

I've never built a show car, all mine have been drivers. So I wanted to ensure the longterm life of the underhood parts. I used an insulation wrap to keep the heat from baking the underhood parts near the exhaust. I understand that if looks are important, this might not be an option. :)

I am also very interested to see how it holds up.
I have used the BBQ Paint before by Rust-Oleum and that one is rated to 1200 Degrees.
It lasted about 3 months before it started flaking off. That was with no prep and just spraying the DP.
I will post feedback.

Today I pieced everything back together. A local GN owner by the name of @Koshe aka Mr. Khaki Pants came over to lend a hand. Thanks Koshe for wiping the sweat out of my eyes while I worked, I couldn't have done it without you. ;)

I am still waiting for the new braided oil feed line to show up from GBP before I can start the car. The old brass fitting that goes In to the oil feed in the turbo had the threads shredded. Ironically enough, none of my local parts store had a 1/8 NPT to 1/4 90 Degree inverted flare fitting.

neweng.jpg

Actually pretty good. Got the AC done (new compressor and evaporatora and switches ), TTop weatherstripping, window motors, door sweeps. Wife said she thought I was done. NO.
I would like to know if there is a TR on the planet that doesn't leak oil.
Haven't had a chance to investigate it. See you soon.
Hey what's the deal with the khaki pants ?

Actually pretty good. Got the AC done (new compressor and evaporatora and switches ), TTop weatherstripping, window motors, door sweeps. Wife said she thought I was done. NO.

Keeping busy this winter, eh?
Mine is leaking as well Ron. I'm guessing it's my oil pan. I will have to investigate further as well.

Well..... The story of the mysterious khaki pants originated circa 2013.
There was this larger but very fine gentlemen by the name of @Koshe. His philosophy and belive was that wearing khaki pants while working on Buicks brought on some sort of Vodoo magic. What type of magic you may ask?
Well the type of magic that nothing can go wrong on your Buick.
Since then many people across the Fayettevilles and North Carolinas have gathered and participated in such ritual to honor the believes of the great Koshe.

Yes there is the 2 gnx's on Richards lift.............ya know the ones that don't get driven

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok guys, not a lot going on lately. I stepped up from a stock turbo to a TA49 with a .63 Garrett.
@Good2win22 gave me a great deal on this Turbo and couldn't pass it up.
I figured this would be the perfect time to clean up some of my parts while the Turbo was off.

Here is the engine bay after removing a few things.
View attachment 215302

The old parts removed.
View attachment 215303

My Turbo arrived on Tuesday and everything is looking good.
View attachment 215304

Removed the Compressor housing to compare it to the stock wheels. Man this thing looks awesome.
View attachment 215308

Ok now down to the nitty gritty. I searched for quite a bit for Ceramic coaters here in Fayetteville, NC with no leads. I called a few Powder Coaters and they said they didn't deal with Ceramic and didn't know anyone in the area that did. Well shoot! I located a Ceramic coating company not too far from me that I can ship my parts to but they wanted a 2 week wait. I can't wait that long!

Upon doing further research it seems people were having great success with the VHT Flame Proof paint.
I figured I might as well give it a shot and we'll see how it holds up. I was a bit inspired by @SPOOLFOOL2 thread on how he Ports and Paints a Turbo.

I picked up a can of Primer SP100 and a can of color SP998 Cast Iron for 19 buckaronies.
View attachment 215309

After using a wire wheel, sandpaper, oil/wax/grease remover and masking off certain areas, the parts were ready for Primer and Paint.
View attachment 215310

View attachment 215311

I sprayed on 3 coats of Primer with 10-15 minutes in between each coat. I let the Primer dry for a day and lightly sanded it with 600 grit sandpaper. I then sprayed 4 coats of Paint with 10-15 minutes in between each coat. I didn't want to cure the parts that would fit in my oven so I'll have to cure these on the car. Hope it holds up.

They don't look too bad.
View attachment 215312

View attachment 215313

Big thanks to John @Meg's Dad for his transportation services of the exhaust manifold and downpipe to Burlington, NC. I reached out to Pat @SloGN the founder of Broughton's Performance and he was able to clean up my warped flanges. Thanks guys! I owe you gentlemen a pair of Khaki pants. ;)
View attachment 215314

I'm waiting for a few more parts to show up in the mail like a braided oil feed line from G Body Parts before I bolt everything up. I can't wait to fill the tank with some E85 and turn the boost up with this TA49!!!

Thanks for advertising........Lol

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok update on the paint.
The Exhaust Manifold and Downpipe after 100 miles has turned gold! No flaking so far.
Since the compressor cover doesn't get hot it is still holding up really good.
We'll see how long they hold up.

enbay1.jpg

enbay2.jpg

No prob, yea going to put 5 more hours into it today. I will probably finish up the floor pan installation, and get the ttops spot welded tomorrow.