She got a Riviera...

Orion231

My sister just got a 1995 Buick Riviera with the 3800 Series II Supercharged V6, trying to find some good info on it so when I come home on leave I can modify the car a little... K&N, maybe exhaust, chip little stuff for me to work on it with her because I got her "started" helping me with my GN and now she loves Buicks! And hot rods in general! ;) I would assume any mods a Regal GS can recieve a Riveria can as well... anythign specific about them? I'm looking for stats as well, hp, torque, weight, so any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

:D

There is actually quite a few aftermarket parts made that will fit the Riviera. Check out www.regalgs.org There are a few people with Riv's over there that should be able to help you out. The first easy hp mods would be to install a 3.4" supercharger pulley, get a cold air intake of some sort, and free up the exhaust. I would reccomend getting a modular pulley system if you think that you may ever want to get a smaller pulley than a 3.4 to increase boost.

Info!

Thanks! This is just what I need. I can prolly buy her a couple of goodies to put on for Xmas.... hehe :D I'll do some more research if anyone else has any info please feel free to post it up!

Cory

Riviera mods.

Anything that can be done to a Grand prix or Regal will work on a Riviera.The smaller blower pulley worked well on my '96, and I advise disabling the bypass servo on the intake for better throttle response.This had no effect on the mileage of my car, still great.(how about 30mpg at a constant 80mph?) Try to find a reprogramming kit for the pcm; it is badly needed. Beef up the handling, maybe with Aurora parts. Great car, all in all. Good luck with your modifications!
Dale

Thanks Dale!

My Dad took the Supercharger off and cleaned it and changed the oil, he let my sister help, and she's understanding it very well! I got her hooked on muscle cars when I lived at home I always was in the garage cleaning and tuning on my 87 GN so she would help out and I'd take her to school ;) all the kids liked the GN in the morning, they would always want me to burn out when I left, but the local police and myself thought that wasn't a good idea, so I would just give em a little whistle when I left on the brake...hehe But I'm excited to get home and help her upgrade a few things. What about exhaust systems? Any good performance gains? And where can she get one? The Riv is really nice, Buick did a good job! Stylish and powerful for a FWD. Dad wants to drive from TX to FT Bragg, NC and visit in the next couple of months with it! He says it's running very well! Also what type of K&N Filters can she get for it?

Riviera mods

Hi!
If you haven't already found it ,try www.thrasher e-p.com. Though they don't specifically build Riviera stuff,being more Grand Prix and Regal oriented,the site has some great tech articles on the seriesII 3800. They have a Grand Prix test mule that's been intercooled and nitroused, and an interesting traction setup to prevent torque steer.Check them out!
My sister last month bought a 2004 Grand Prix with the new series III 3800, rated I think at 250 hp. Nice car, but she won't let me get close enough to do a good performance analysis. I think the new series basically is just the new Eaton blower. After the newness wears off, maybe I can take a little spin...
Dale

I hate to rain on your parade, but the 95 Riv unfortunately came with a Series I not the Series II Supercharged... I guess there may have been a mid-year change but my 95 Riv only has a Series I SC... The NA Series II 3800 was introduced in 1995 on the Riv, but for some reason the Series II SC came in 1996.

Hope that helps you.

John

series I&II

John,
You're right, of course, forgot which model year we were talking about. You can get lots of grunt out of the seriesI anyway, as witnessed by our turbo brethren.The weak link in the drivetrain is still that 4T60E transaxle. which was used through '96. I know my car, with stock pcm programming, backs out the spark and fuel delivery drastically just before the 1-2 shift, killing performance. I'm sure smaller pulleys and fresh air kits are available for the earlier cars The blower on the I is smaller, isn't it?According to Car&Driver, a '95 could do a 15.6 quarter mile, not too shabby for such a big car.
Dale

John,
I just noticed you were from Flint. I suppose they tore down Buick City by now, what a loss. Was up there in 2001 for the Woodward dream cruise, took a side trip to Flint. They wouldn't let us past the gate , had to console ourselves with photos through the fence. A real loss; so much history there...
Dale

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
John,
I just noticed you were from Flint. I suppose they tore down Buick City by now, what a loss. Was up there in 2001 for the Woodward dream cruise, took a side trip to Flint. They wouldn't let us past the gate , had to console ourselves with photos through the fence. A real loss; so much history there...
Dale

:( All that is left of much of the Buick plants are the Concrete pads where the Plants used to sit. There are some of the northern factories that are still in use, but for the most part, it looks like a parking lot.

I personally think that GM is still mad at Flint for starting the Union.

John

Re: series I&II

Originally posted by 83ttypecooled
John,
You're right, of course, forgot which model year we were talking about. You can get lots of grunt out of the seriesI anyway, as witnessed by our turbo brethren.The weak link in the drivetrain is still that 4T60E transaxle. which was used through '96. I know my car, with stock pcm programming, backs out the spark and fuel delivery drastically just before the 1-2 shift, killing performance. I'm sure smaller pulleys and fresh air kits are available for the earlier cars The blower on the I is smaller, isn't it?According to Car&Driver, a '95 could do a 15.6 quarter mile, not too shabby for such a big car.
Dale

I have heard that they had some problems with the Supercharger, but when I speak to a buddy that teaches maintence, and has alot of experience with GM design, he sais that the supercharger is very overdesigned. I do have alot of miles on my 95 109,000 to be accurate, and I am leary about putting too much punch to the engine, but I know that the Buick 3800 is a pretty tough bird to kill. Case in point the T-type/GN power. Granted, Salvage yards almost have to give 3800's away up here.

John