SG1 blocks

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
1st thread yeeehawwww!!!!

Seriously,

I got an SG1 blocked engine in the boneyard a few months ago.... was a goodwrench replacement engine apparently.... the crank was the "rolled fillet" turbo crank that everyone says isn't found in n/a motors.... the chamfering on the oil holes was also different than our std turbo cranks....

The pistons were dished... but didn't have the steel reinforcements like the turbo motors....

Does anyone know if there is a "rule" of what is different and what is not as far as SG1 blocked engines go?

1st thread yeeehawwww!!!!

Seriously,

I got an SG1 blocked engine in the boneyard a few months ago.... was a goodwrench replacement engine apparently.... the crank was the "rolled fillet" turbo crank that everyone says isn't found in n/a motors.... the chamfering on the oil holes was also different than our std turbo cranks....

The pistons were dished... but didn't have the steel reinforcements like the turbo motors....

Does anyone know if there is a "rule" of what is different and what is not as far as SG1 blocked engines go?
It is ones of the later 109 blocks that was used on the trans am a proper stage 1 would have a 12 or 17 on the last digits of the serial number

It is ones of the later 109 blocks that was used on the trans am a proper stage 1 would have a 12 or 17 on the last digits of the serial number

I guess I should have said it was a 109.... it has SG1 also cast into the block....from the reading I did... it was a "replacement" block/engine.... I assume because the RWD engine mass production was no more when the RWD platform for the 3.8L was axed.

Its just a standard GM block. Nothing special other than the fact its not stamped with the VIN. I just gave a std. one to a friend for his engine buildup. All the ones ive seen come for GM as replacements had the rolled radius on the rods.