Security System Question

GWHIZZER

Hey Guys (and Gals):
My 87T has the factory security system, and I accidentally set it off today (while messing
with the door lock switch.) I'd never had that happen in the 5 years I've owned the car. Anyway,
I tried to shut it off by putting the key in the ignition and that didn't work, so I unhooked the battery.
(At that point I was just trying not to annoy the entire neighborhood). In doing a little research after
the fact, I learned that inserting the key in the door would have shut it off. But my problem now is,
even after going through the alarm reset process, is that the car won't start- won't even turn over.
I'm hoping someone has had this happen before and can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Gary

What is the security light doing when the battery is hooked up?

Is the alarm still going off (horn/lights) when you hook up the battery?

It is hooked into the lock tumber. I used to have to wiggle the key to get it to activate.

What is the security light doing when the battery is hooked up?

Is the alarm still going off (horn/lights) when you hook up the battery?
No, sir. -And I went through the reset procedure. The security light blinks when the door opens, just like before. I even set the horn off
again on purpose- then got it to shut off with the key in the door. Everything seems to be working- except the car won't start.

I wish i could snap my fingers to remove the absurd bundle of wires in my glovebox associated with that dumb alarm system!

That doesn't sound good! Did you have this problem?

Never had a problem....just find alarm systems to be an annoyance rather than a help. And if I'm going to arm my prized turbo buick I sure as hell am not going to rely on a factory alarm from 1987 :p

Never had a problem....just find alarm systems to be an annoyance rather than a help. And if I'm going to arm my prized turbo buick I sure as hell am not going to rely on a factory alarm from 1987 :p
I agree- I have a hidden switch that cuts off the fuel pump- otherwise I've left the way it came from the factory- but that still leaves my problem.......

Check the purple 16 or so the smaller gauge wire on the starter solenoid for 12 volts when you turn the key to start. Use a long clip lead to the meter away from under the. Car in case it starts.

If you dont feel like checking under the car first try setting the alarm to ON does thst still work properly?
Id set it off again if it can be armed again.
Then shut it off ie. reset it with the key in the door lock, not by pulling connections off the battery and then see if it starts.

If you dont feel like checking under the car first try setting the alarm to ON does thst still work properly?
Id set it off again if it can be armed again.
Then shut it off ie. reset it with the key in the door lock, not by pulling connections off the battery and then see if it starts.
Yes, sir. I tried all that. Still won't start. I called Casper's and talked to John Spina. He told me that there's a starter interrupt relay under the dash that's
probably gone bad. I'll post results when I get it squared away.

Gary,

Glad you stopped by today, It was nice to hang out for a day and shoot the breeze...... Onto your problem it sounds like John Spina got you fixed up and it will be nice to get to the bottom of this "Interrupt relay" and what it's actual purpose is and it's proper function...

To all who have posted, this is a very close friend on mine Gary Tarwater and has had Buick's for as long as I can remember (don't let the post count fool you) this guy has a 87 (Stage 1) GN and a very nice all stock 1986 Rosewood T-Type that spends most of his time reading on TB.com since he registered back in 2005. He is a great knowledgeable guy but just never had to deal with a stock security system like this before, This has stumped us all but we will be sure to post up the cause/issue as soon as we figure this out...

Merry Christmas to All and a Happy New Year!

Gina & Scot - GNS

I didnt mention the relay or its location for obvious reasons but its probably in that or the power feed to it.
And I would still check the purple wire on the solenoid first it might be easier than finding and working on that relay. :p
Id suggest the factory service manual for details paper or cd rom version.

Gary/Scot,, Once you find out where that relay is, can you PM me? It's a piece of information that will likely come in handy, since I have the factory security system in my 87 also.

Scot, as of the 18th I'm now officially a "decrepid old man"!! :eek:

Gary/Scot,, Once you find out where that relay is, can you PM me? It's a piece of information that will likely come in handy, since I have the factory security system in my 87 also.

Scot, as of the 18th I'm now officially a "decrepid old man"!! :eek:
LMAO....

Dave, I'll call you and let you know where it is. Scot: thanks for the kind words.-And Salvage- thanks a bunch. The interrupt relay
was indeed the problem. I got lucky and tapped on it and got it to reset, so I didn't have to do any wiring. I didn't want to take pictures,
etc., for giving away info to any potential thieves, but if any of you with the factory theft deterrent systems would like to know what I
found, just PM me. -Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
Gary

That relay has a Normally Closed switch position which is where it resides most of the life of the car.

That passes the IGN key starter voltage to the solenoid on a daily, or yearly basis for some folk. :p

Once it's activated by the theft deterrrant system and opening the contact, like once in a 25 year period, it can, due to a compressed spring or return mechanism, not return to the N/C position and allow the car to start.

I'd suggest replacing the relay if you think you might be setting it off while testing the switches and wiring a lot.

The last thing you need is an intermittant IGN switch to solenoid connection that isn't all that easily accessible.

That relay has a Normally Closed switch position which is where it resides most of the life of the car.

That passes the IGN key starter voltage to the solenoid on a daily, or yearly basis for some folk. :p

Once it's activated by the theft deterrrant system and opening the contact, like once in a 25 year period, it can, due to a compressed spring or return mechanism, not return to the N/C position and allow the car to start.

I'd suggest replacing the relay if you think you might be setting it off while testing the switches and wiring a lot.

The last thing you need is an intermittant IGN switch to solenoid connection that isn't all that easily accessible.
Well, I don't plan on setting it off again, if I can help it! The car isn't driven everyday, just my backup if the wife and I are going in different directions.
I wouldn't mind having a spare relay, though. Again, thanks for your help!

Dave, I'll call you and let you know where it is. Scot: thanks for the kind words.-And Salvage- thanks a bunch. The interrupt relay
was indeed the problem. I got lucky and tapped on it and got it to reset, so I didn't have to do any wiring. I didn't want to take pictures,
etc., for giving away info to any potential thieves, but if any of you with the factory theft deterrent systems would like to know what I
found, just PM me. -Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas.
Gary
H i I am having problems with my alarm system think it is the relay, can you tell me where the relay is located
Thanks Dave .