School me.

3xbrowncutty

Okay so I'm getting kinda tired with the whole stockish v8 deal in my '83 cutlass, and i want something that will really wake this car up. I think a ls turbo build and transplant is kinda out of my league, so obviously I'm thinking intercooled 6 :cool:

On a mild rebuild on a 109 and maybe a bigger turbo, what am i looking at price wise for a complete drivetrain swap into my oldsmobile? Trans and Diff should be able to put up with the turbo 6 for a while until i can upgrade to an overdrive.

Anyone have any good links with a lot of good reading material? Still a beginner to the injected turbo motors. Thanks guys!

I'll let someone else quote you on a price for a rebuild, but I wanted to point this out. Assuming you want to swap in an 86-87 intercooled turbo 6, you need to factor in not only the cost of the engine but also the intercooler, wiring harness, the ECM, the fuel tank (it's different than the traditional carbed models) Also the trans used on the 86-87 turbo 6 cars was different and the rear was the stout rear.

What's up with the V8 in your car? What do you have? Stock 307 Olds engine?

If you come across a wrecked 86/87 Buick Turbo that would be your best bet. And the price would depend if you can find one. There was a motor/tranny in the for sale section for $2k, but like was mentioned there are supporting hardware that you will also need. So saying you find a engine and tranny for $2k plus the supporting stuff at least another $1k give or take some... my guess would be around $3k, good luck if you go this route!!

Chuck

thanks guys,

I have a '72 oldsmobile 350, rebuilt when i bought it. pretty much stock though, very mild. I just see so much more potential in the turbo 6's than an NA v8. There is not much aftermarket suppourt for the oldsmobiles turbo-wise at all, and i definitely want a turbo.

I am aware of changing fuel systems to go injected as well as the computer and software upgrades.

I have a built th350 and 7.5" posi for now, finding a wrecked T or GN would be nice for the whole drivetrain swap. Kind of a needle in the hay-stack deal though. i think?

I would really like a t-type, but I cant see myself getting rid of the olds. Its my first car, had it since i was 15, I'm 20 now. pretty stuck on it. Although i think the buicks look better

Sounds like...

a nice car. have you tried posting in the cars wanted section? You never know what might happen. someone may have a doner close to you and you don't realise it. Look at the roller that just went for 2k?:eek: