Scanmaster not working again!

Yea...I used those as well. But realize, because you need to unbolt the relay to replace them, it is possible that after replacing both relays at the same time, they can be bolted back to the inner fender backwards from "normal".

As V6turbo87 recommended...I will be leaving both the TCC and low fan relay disconnected.

I should be picking up my new ECM in about an hour. I will give an update later.

In the meantime...is there a way to check the TCC solenoid without opening up the tranny? Other than the road test mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks

Another question: I changed my high fan relay just to have new relays. When I put the new relay in the fan came on engine off and once started the car the fan shut off. Is that normal. If so would the fan turn off once I shut down the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update....

New ECM installed. The TCC solenoid, low, high and delay relays were all unplugged. Scan Master is working.....!

Both my low and high fan relays were reading very high resistance when compared to the new one. I will plug in my High fan relay for now.

Another question: I changed my high fan relay just to have new relays. When I put the new relay in the fan came on engine off and once started the car the fan shut off. Is that normal. If so would the fan turn off once I shut down the engine?

I don't know what you did...but it kinda sounds like you are referring to the 'delay' fan relay. Is that the relay your referring too?

Sorry, yes.

Well....I'm no expert, but as I understand the system; the 'delay' fan relay will energize the 'high' fan relay when the tempuature is above the temp switch (located in the manifold/left side). It will turn on your fan without the ignition on.

It was designed to cool the tempurature of your engine after driving the car. Get to where you are going...park...turn off car...; then if the temperature in the engine is still to 'warm' the fans will turn on until temperature is lowered....or your battery dies;) which ever come first.

Hope this helps

I understand that. But I just popped in a new one just because with the engine off and engine cold. Haven't driven my car in two weeks. Soon as I installed the relay the fan came on. Maybe it was just the relay itself. It was one of those cheaper ones. But when my ecm comes in I hope I have solved my problem also. Leaving the low fan relay unplugged

Update...problem fixed.

After meticulously reading wires in all the systems that relate to TCC and cooling, I didn't find anything wrong except for what was discovered the first time, I'll explain later. However, I did find my 'delay' relay was completely corroded... so it has been removed and the plugs were taped up and secured. Both the high and low relays had a high resistance in comparison to the new ones...so they were removed and replaced with good ones.

The first thing I noticed after this initially occurred were a few wire cut at both the high and low relays. The green with yellow stripe was cut to the high fan relay and both the solid green wires were cut to the low relay. These were repaired and then I made sure all the wires had good continuity and not grounded out when they shouldn't be.

The only thing I cannot (or just don't know how) check is the TCC solenoid in the transmission, so for now...it's unplugged.

Installed new/remanded ECU and started it up! ScanMaster is working as advertised!

And....they best thing is she stays sooooooooo much cooler. Stays around 170....instead of hitting 220 and then the fans come on until about 190 and then back up to 220 and back to 190...so on and so on.

Thanks you for all the help.

Did you ever plug your tcc back in with the new ecm?

Not yet chrisgn6. Only because...well, i'm afraid:unsure:.

But, she has been working great thus far and I'm thinking soon....maybe this weekend I will give it an attempt.

What the worst that would happen? right? meh...new ecm? whatever.....

Not yet chrisgn6. Only because...well, i'm afraid:unsure:.

But, she has been working great thus far and I'm thinking soon....maybe this weekend I will give it an attempt.

What the worst that would happen? right? meh...new ecm? whatever.....

I should be putting my ecm in tomorrow or Saturday. I'm going to unplug both the tcc and the low fan relay. If it solves my problem then I'll plug the tcc back in and let you know what happens before you try yours.

Here is a way to check the TCC solenoid (or any other controlled component) without opening the hood:

You will need a good DVOM that measures Amperage (current flow). A Fluke 87 is my preferred tool for this.

• setup the DVOM to measure amps. Read the instructions on your meter if you are unsure how this is done
  • ground the black DVOM lead
  • disconnect the ECM and remove it from the harness.
  • take the red DVOM lead and touch it to the TCC circuit terminal in the harness
  • The TCC solenoid will turn on and should pull around 55-60 milliamps
  • If you see more, you have a problem.
As a suggestion, you might want to run the car first and get the trans up to operating temp. Lots of these type of failures are temperature sensitive.

You are basically acting like the ECM in this test. You apply the ground and measure the currrent flow.
This technique works on any circuit that the ECM controls by applying a ground. (Low side drivers)
The fuel pump is the only ECM controlled component that uses a High Side driver. This circuit can be tested, however, your red DVOM lead gets hooked to B+ and then the black lead is used at the harness.

Try it,,,,,I think you will like it!!

Sounds good. Great advice. Now to find which terminal the tcc is. where can a Schematics be found at if you know?

Attachments

• tranny-wiring-diag.jpg
    tranny-wiring-diag.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 47
Pacecarta, so I can't check at the ecm harness even though v6turbo said remove the ecm out the way so it will not be a factor?

Turbodave231's post was explicit, and that test will tell all you need to know.

Pacecarta, so I can't check at the ecm harness even though v6turbo said remove the ecm out the way so it will not be a factor?

you could unplug the ecm , to complete the ground to the TCC you can ground the F pin at the ALDL {upper pin on driverside)

you could unplug the ecm , to complete the ground to the TCC you can ground the F pin at the ALDL {upper pin on driverside)

While this test will determine if the tcc is working, it doesn't do anything to measure current draw to see if the solenoid is at fault.