Scanmaster not working again!

chrisgn6

thought I had fixed my problem. Scanmaster was not working. Was installed accordingly to the instructions. I verified power and continuity at the Orange wire from battery to ecm. The the Orange wire from fuse block to ecm. All checked good. So I purchased another ecm. Scanmaster worked like a charm. Then two hours later it stopped working again. Could it be a bad chip(stock) or ecm ( cardoons re manufactured )? I pull like to get this figured out so I can post my readings and get help from there. Thanks in advance guys!!

does it turn on, or does it just not read the ecm?
the first place i'd be looking at would be the data wire from the ecm to see if that's good: what happens if you plug a different scan tool into the ALDL?

odds are he has a bad wiring harness connector or relay under the hood that killed the first ecm and without fixing the cause ..there went #2

check the fan relays(replace if in doubt) and check the connector ends for melted terminals
if you have the fan delay relay pull it off its probably full of rust and shorted out intenally

If I plug in a scanner straight to the aldl I get nothing. I will check my relays and connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3268dd6270cdd822c291511d2e0a206a.jpg

What relays are these right behind the coolant res? They have some kind of dielectric grease that's old and hard and sticky on them.

ac clutch relay and the fuel pump relay , the fan relays are on driverside fender

My fan relays have this same stuff on them.. Do you think I should replace all relays or try to clean them?

the goo is there to keep water out, that is not the problem.

the driver chip that handles the datastream also runs the TCC and low speed fan relay.

Measure the coil resistances of those 2 devices..

Bob

Thanks bob I will tomorrow and will reply with those numbers

Bob you talking about the tcc solenoid at the tranny or some connector?

tcc is torque converter control , it the lockup solenoid in the transmission

I did have another relay for my low fan. Replaced it and that didn't work. Also my tranny was just rebuilt by a professional shop. You think the tcc could still be bad? This problem was also there before the tranny rebuild.

something is killing your ecm's, you need to start troubleshooting somewhere.

get the wiring diagram for the car, start measuring the resistances of the components mentioned (TCC solenoid and low speed fan relay)

Bob

Any luck Chris?

My car just did this today. Scan master was working....three miles later, felt a 'shutter' and SM read blank. When I turn the key on, engine off I will see the 2.1 display and then go blank. Same when I start the car. Car runs good. Checked all three connection and they are good.

I will also check what Bob has recommended and if I find something, i will let ya know.

Damon

I haven't got mines fixed yet and I haven't been trying to. Been dealing with my tranny, headers and few other things. If you fix yours let me know

Hi Chris,

Was just wondering if you have found out anything.

I havn't...check wiring connection...Volts....nothing seems wrong.

Curious though, what is the Voltage reading from the diagnostic port (orange wire from the ECM)? Mine reads less than 1 VDC...somewhere around 850 mv.

thanks

I will have to check tomorrow, at work. I'll get back with you