Scanmaster and Gauge install

72firebird

Well I've spent the last couple days installing a Scanmaster 2.1 and a new Autometer Carbon Fiber style Boost gauge and setting up the wiring for my trans temp gauge. My goal to start with was to make it so I could easily remove the Scanmaster and it not be noticeable that it was there at car shows without really looking. So I bought an old RC car servo extension cable at my local hobby store, the connector is about 1/16" thick x 1/4" wide x 1/2" long. Anyways on to the pictures and details.

The scanmaster I bought had the wires cut and had some connectors I didn't like on it so the wires were really short. I was originally gunna rewire it at the board but I decided to just add the connector as an extension of the current wires. This is the Scanmaster, connector, and some shrink wrap
gallery_107_75_765258.jpg

Soldering has been completed with the new connector attached.
gallery_107_75_264330.jpg

gallery_107_75_278545.jpg

The otherside of the connector
gallery_107_75_506207.jpg

Assembled and connected together. I tried to keep the shrink wrap up close to the connectors so you couldn't see the color on the wires, I wish I would have just put the shrink wrap over the connector.
gallery_107_75_379930.jpg

Where I plan on mounting the Scanmaster. I'm gunna be making a plate with a hole drilled to use one of the screws for the dash pad. Then I'll be using velcro to hold it up.
gallery_107_75_645490.jpg

The wire hidden with the Scanmaster connected and disconnected. You won't be able to see the connector or anything until you're searching for it.
gallery_107_75_253101.jpg

gallery_107_75_761030.jpg

Now for the gauges here's the harness that I made for the 3 gauge pod. I've decided that I don't like the 3 gauge pod so I'll be changing to a 2 gauge pod once I get the chance. I hooked the power up to I believe it's like INTS (something close to that) in the fuse box and you can plug into on the backside of the fust box. This will connect the gauges through the dimmer for the stock gauges.
gallery_107_75_179029.jpg

gallery_107_75_458799.jpg

gallery_107_75_242764.jpg

The carbon fiber gauges are pretty close to the stock style, especially when you have a red light in them. The colors on the numbers and lines are a little different but they're close enough to fit in.
gallery_107_75_448598.jpg

Boost gauges with red light versus speedometer
gallery_107_75_240000.jpg

gallery_107_75_197523.jpg

Sorry for all the semi-blurry pictures. They didn't look too bad on the camera and I didn't download them until I was done when it was too late to retake them. If you have any questions just ask and I should be able to answer them.

looks good the boost gauge almost matches the speedo.looks like you had the upper dash panel off,how come you had to do that?

looks good the boost gauge almost matches the speedo.looks like you had the upper dash panel off,how come you had to do that?

well to put it simply, I was in the mood to take stuff out. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to do everything so I tore everything apart to see what all my options were. I was also trying to access to the dimmer switch, but then I found out it's like encased and you have to remove the whole dash to get to the wires.

I did the same thing for my scanmaster set up pretty much. Wish I could hide it like this on my GN! Soldered the wire off and used some thin black wire. The connector I made is right behind the dash bezel so I can take it out and there is no signs of it ever being there :cool:

Pictures0005.jpg

SM02.jpg

they're working fine for me. They're on a kind of sketchy server so sometimes they may not load.

Smiley - thanks. Did you go to the TA Nats this year? If so, how was it I didn't have time to go this year.

ah...my work may be blocking it :mad: ...I'll try at home later tonight.

Looks good Jared, can you tell me the part# for the Autometer gauge? I want to order one.

Thanks
James.

Smiley - thanks. Did you go to the TA Nats this year? If so, how was it I didn't have time to go this year.

did not enter any cars - just had too much going on and not any time for the show this year. i did drive out on fri to hand with the guys for a short time...

Here's my install I did last year some time ... permanant fit. Also the Lotec 2 gauge pillar pod.

Scanmaster Install

Lotek 2 Gauge Pillar Pod

Lotek 2 Gauge Pillar Pod Cont.

Jan, overall how do you feel about the fitment of the Lotek pod? The 3 gauge autometer pod that I installed pushes on the dash pad really bad on the bottom gauge hole. I'm looking to do a 2 gauge pod now but the automete version is just a small portion of the pillar length so it'll look kind of weird. I like your end product look but it looks like it was a real pain to install.

Jan, overall how do you feel about the fitment of the Lotek pod? The 3 gauge autometer pod that I installed pushes on the dash pad really bad on the bottom gauge hole. I'm looking to do a 2 gauge pod now but the automete version is just a small portion of the pillar length so it'll look kind of weird. I like your end product look but it looks like it was a real pain to install.

Jared, the 2 gauge pillar do have enough clearence as the lower pod sits higher than the pod on a 3 gauge version. Over all fitment is pretty bad actually as the pillar is kind of warped and a bit sloppy that is why I decided to push it in place and hold it tight ontop of the OEM piller with small black rivets. Top portion as you can see I trimmed off where the t-top lock mechnism is otherwise I would never been able to get the t-tops on I think and it looked very bad. I did spend a couple of hours and when fitted it's not so bad but I expected a overall better product I must say.

The Autometer pod I understand fit much better?

Jared, the 2 gauge pillar do have enough clearence as the lower pod sits higher than the pod on a 3 gauge version. Over all fitment is pretty bad actually as the pillar is kind of warped and a bit sloppy that is why I decided to push it in place and hold it tight ontop of the OEM piller with small black rivets. Top portion as you can see I trimmed off where the t-top lock mechnism is otherwise I would never been able to get the t-tops on I think and it looked very bad. I did spend a couple of hours and when fitted it's not so bad but I expected a overall better product I must say.

The Autometer pod I understand fit much better?

Overall the 3 gauge pod fit awesome over the stock piece, however like I said it hits the dashpad which I really don't like since it'll leave a dent in the pad. I might try playing with it a little more before I sell it off and get something else.