SBC overheating problem?

TWISTER

I have an 84 half ton chevy I use to plow with and in the winter it heats up to like 240 degrees while driving but not while sitting or plowing. You can watch the gauge climb as you drive down the road and fall at a stop sign. It has a 700r4 trans and the engine was a reman in the 90s and has about 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced radiator,water pump, fan clutch,cap, advanced and retarded timing and changed t stat 3 times and last time used a 160. Pressure tested the system and it held. No milky oil and dont seem to loose antifreeze. It does this with the plow off also. I even changed the gauge. This has been going on for 3 years now. Any ideas? Im am lost on this. Thanks for any help.

There is nothing in front of the radiator to cause this though. Plow on or off its driving me nuts.

Did you check in between the radiator and condensor? Common to find crap in there. didnt see new rad. They might have given you a reverse flow pump.That will cause your problem also.Intake gaskets installed wrong?

a reverse rotation pump won't have the upper boss for the alternator bracket.

does the radiator cap hold pressure?
does it boil over or run like crap when it happens, or does it just read high on the gauge?

a reverse rotation pump won't have the upper boss for the alternator bracket.

does the radiator cap hold pressure?
does it boil over or run like crap when it happens, or does it just read high on the gauge?

The body will be right but the impeller is wrong. I have had that happen a few times. I open them before installing now. I wonder if its really getting hot. maybe sender is bad?

Id runs fine it just reads hot. New sender and gauge also. I had my wonders about the pump as someone has questioned me before about it may be bad even though its new. The radiator is new from NAPA and didnt change a thing. The engine has been together since the 90s. I am really wondering if its the pump. It will warm up to about 185 w the 160 stat in there and about 205 w the 180 stat in there also. It has a new cap but I dont remeber if I checked that or not. Thanks for all the advice. It will warm up in about 3 miles but before I changed the gauge I figured it was bad anf just drove it this summer for a 15 mile round trip for a couple of weeks and it never overheated.

Make sure you have the correct radiator cap pressure. From what I have seen a wrong cap pressure can wreak havoc on the ONWER (you) about finding a soulution.

Until you get it figured out you can try popping the spring out of its lock on the backside of the fan clutch. Just pull it out of the notch and let it float there. It will cause the fan to fully engage, and pull in a lot more air. Not a fix but, should get you by for now.

Collapsing lower radiator hose.
I had that issue on my F250 with a alternate replacement hose.
I was traveling to AZ and every time I got above 60mph the temp would rise. A small town garage diagnosed it and they were right.

Collapsing lower radiator hose.
I had that issue on my F250 with a alternate replacement hose.
I was traveling to AZ and every time I got above 60mph the temp would rise. A small town garage diagnosed it and they were right.

Thats exactly what I thought it was too as I have had tractors do that. I raplaced it with a NAPA hose that didnt have a spring in ait and I put the old spring in the hew hose just in case. No luck. Im leaning towards the water pump and hope to get at it after I plow this weekend.

To much egr can cause hot intake temp. No egr at idle so temps could drop. Just pull the vac hose off of it and plug it. See if anything changes. Had one on a 85 sbc act up and thought it might be common problem on that engine.