Sand in my motor?

Let's see that catch can. BTW love the color.

Let's see that catch can. BTW love the color.
I'll get a pick of it next time I'm in the garage. Plates are welded to the valve covers with AN fittings and braided line which you can see in the pics. The catch can is mounted behind the drivers side headlights.
DSC03163.JPG

We have a similar combo. What torque converter are you running? My motor is not quite in the car yet. TA ported heads, TA 4 bolt headers, 226-226 cam, 71hpq bb

Great that your car is running again.

Yea very similar, although your heads and cam are a notch up and my turbo is a journal bearing. Converter is the same as before, TCS 9x11 3200. Engine builder said with the added cubes and bigger cam it's probably stalling around 3400-3600 but haven't verified that. The 7168 spools up just as quick if not a bit quicker than my 6262 did on the old 4.1 combo.

wow the engine came out phenomenal and I bet it just rips the pavement to shreds. lovin' the color and t-tops. can't wait to see what it puts down on the track.

Champion's with open breathers. New setup has AN fittings and a catch can so its more "tamper resistant".

I just pulled out a bunch of sand from a pair of used valve covers (champion,GN1) style with breathers. I got lucky because I wanted to clean them out in case the previous owner had particles in his oil... So I sprayed brake cleaner up inside the flat part and dislodged a few big chunks of sand.
The Chinese dude didnt get all the sand out and im thinking it is plausible in your case.
Note: this is just one. I found several, but crushed them in my hand to see WTH it was. Sand for sure!

20150720_103122.jpg

20150720_103154.jpg

No this was 100% beach sand and in large quantities. Valve covers were perfect when removed.

FWIW; those aren't "Champion GN1" valve covers. They're GN1 performance. even though you said 'style' I just wanted to clarify they're 2 different companies.

I just pulled out a bunch of sand from a pair of used valve covers (champion,GN1) style with breathers. I got lucky because I wanted to clean them out in case the previous owner had particles in his oil... So I sprayed brake cleaner up inside the flat part and dislodged a few big chunks of sand.
The Chinese dude didnt get all the sand out and im thinking it is plausible in your case.
Note: this is just one. I found several, but crushed them in my hand to see WTH it was. Sand for sure!

View attachment 258579
View attachment 258580

Last edited:
GN1 is the comapany that sells the integrated breather VC's. I dont know if anyone else sells them tho?

correct, and anyone that sells GN1 Performance valve covers. in your post, "Champion, GN1" were just too close together :)

This is what the old combo looked like. Champion valve covers, Metco breathers. The sand man came and popped the breather off the passenger side and that was all she wrote.

13.JPG