S2000 kill /Question

BJM

I almost inadvertently stomped on an S2000 from a roll right after we both slowly went around a double left turn lane. I nailed and he nailed it, I heard the VTEC change sounds into a real snarl but he just gave up after second gear. I was leaving him behind really quickly. I have had people tell me that the car is supposed to be able to do a 13.9 1/4 but only if you kill the clutch at 9000 RPM!?!?!? Anybody know much about them?:confused:

The S2000 (Rice 2000) rated by Motor Trend at 14.20@98 and a 0-60 time of 5.8 sec....they said you have to drive it like you hate it and shift it at almost 9,000 RPM to get this kinda performance! It's HP is rated at 240 and torque is only 153. No comp for a Turbo Buick!

for being rice .. thouhgs are nice lil cars .. ive got a Road and Track magazine on them sitting right in fron of me ... when they tested it the 0-60 was 5.5 seconds and the horse power was rated at 240. And that was at 8600 rpm which isnt bad for a 4 banger .... it was ran aganst the Boxster and it was rated faster wit more horse power wit a smaller engine and price tag.. But the weight of the S2000 is a meisly 2800 pounds ..... the tops speed is about 150 mph ... Now im not big on ricers .. but i have to admit i think this one would be fun to drive on i-95 when you can get them high RPMs and feel it move .. and the handling is suppose to be suppurb.

dan
Oh yea ... and this car is made to go up to 9000 rpm cause thats were the most power comes from .. but like you said still no comp fer a G/n ... yet i would be fun to drive one of these in my oppion.

I wouldn't exactly call an S2000 rice.....why is it rice? Did it have stickers and a huge wing? I doubt it.

To answer your question, yep they are capable of a 13.9 I've seen em do it at the track....STOCK. So I guess in theory, they should be a pretty even match for a stock GN. But with some work to GN you should whip a stock S2000.

Also, yes you gotta shift at 9000, but they are made this way so your not really going to hurt it. I too have a 9000 Redline soon to be 9500, I do it all the time with no problems. They are nice little cars.....maybe too little tho :)

Have you done much work to your car? Nice kill man. :D

Miguel

The S2000 is a fun little car. I actually like the looks of them in real life. For some reason they don't look as good in mags. I happened to line up with one at a redlight a while back with an older guy driving, probably mid- late 50s. Light went green and he got on it so I paced him a couple lengths back. I heard the V-tec sound and I punched it and let off the gas and coasted up to him and to my surprise the little motor was screaming and he was racing. I hit it one more time and let off and coasted past him. He let off and told me I had a fast car. He was a pretty nice guy. I would hardly call this car rice. Luckily it costs enough so most of the clear tail lights/ highschool crowd can't get ahold of them.

i like 'em

I saw one up close crossing the bridge here in Bath. We were in traffic, so we weren't going to race, plus the guy had his kid in the car. His engine was singing, runnin' high RPMs (probably not high for that car though). I backed off the car in front of me, and jammed the gas. Just enough to chirp the tires and get the turbo screaming. He looked over, I looked at him, and we exchanged thumbs-ups. I think they're really nice looking cars, they don't LOOK like $30k sports cars, and like you guys said, sure as hell don't behave like $30k sports cars either. All the articles I've read say it stomps the Germans that are $10-$15k more. Good kill though, they are by NO means slugs if the driver is willing to wind 'em up! :D

My buddy at work had one for 6 months or so before he realized he couldn't afford it :)

AWESOME car! It was supertight like a porsche 944, but had way more power. And ya can't beat cruising with the top down on a gorgeous summer day! My buddy was great at driving stick and beat the crap out of the thing, so getting lunch with him several times a week was a ritual I looked forward to! He knew just when to downshift and nail it to keep it in vtec. The motor sounded great too -- like a little racecar... you would actually hear more motor than exhaust.

I HAVE HAD THE HONER TO DRIVE A 00' PORSCHE 996 IN GERMANY, FOR 6 HOURS. IF YOU WERE TO DO THIS, YOU WOULD NOT SAY HONDA AND PORSCHE IN THE SAME DAY.A BOXTER IS LIKE THE 914, ONE THAY WISHED THAY NEVER MADE.I LOVE PORSCHES AND BUICKS, I HAVE A G.N. AND A T- TYPE. JUST CANT BUY A PORSCHE ........FOR NOW.

Originally posted by IBBAKAGEN

Also, yes you gotta shift at 9000, but they are made this way so your not really going to hurt it. I too have a 9000 Redline soon to be 9500, I do it all the time with no problems. They are nice little cars.....maybe too little tho :)

Miguel

wussies!!!!!!

my honda redlines at 13k!!!!

and it runs 11's on pump gas(n/a) and street tire!

oh,sh!t,did i say tire?:D

yeah,yeah,so it's a crotch rocket,so what?:)

just bustinyasack:cool:

later,sean

Originally posted by mark p. liner
I HAVE HAD THE HONER TO DRIVE A 00' PORSCHE 996 IN GERMANY, FOR 6 HOURS. IF YOU WERE TO DO THIS, YOU WOULD NOT SAY HONDA AND PORSCHE IN THE SAME DAY.A BOXTER IS LIKE THE 914, ONE THAY WISHED THAY NEVER MADE.I LOVE PORSCHES AND BUICKS, I HAVE A G.N. AND A T- TYPE. JUST CANT BUY A PORSCHE ........FOR NOW.

The pleasure was mine in a 01 C-4 Convertable w/Hard top, Tiptronics auto(non turbo). Was always a C5 Kind of guy. That car was in a leage of it's own. The best shifting trans i have ever play with. It did pull quite well off the line, the cool thing was the pull wouldnt stop going up through the gears. And as for handling..we'll just say that it pulled my cheek to the side glass :eek: :cool:

After that the need for one sittin beside the Buick has to be:D

I've been seeing more and more S2000s around lately

But I can never get lined up next to one! :mad:

WFO.....got any pics of that bad boy? :)

When I move down to Florida I wanna another Crotch Rocket myself. I just came back from Florida and bought a new house :)
Should be built in 6-9 months they say.

Last bike I had here in NYC, I almost got killed for it when I got Bike-Jacked. Ended up getting a 10 inch blade to my throat. Luckily he only pressed hard and gave me a nice cut. I'm thankful he didn't leave me for dead.

I can wait a few months :)

Miguel

Wife just got an S2000 a couple of months ago.....fun little, did I say little?, better not have to carry any groceries in it....so it is small, but very fun to drive.....tight, pretty fast, not quick, no torque...they have there board just like ours, with some that have done some mods, but nothing that would hang with a mildly built GN.

We were playing around one night on the highway when I was coming home in my LS400 and she took me, but a couple nights later I handed her doors to her when I was in TRICKY.....:D She tried one more time from stoplight, but that didn't work for her either:D

I found it interesting that they are handbuilt in the same factory as the NSX's are made in....only other Honda to get that treatment....

Actually Integra Type R's and Civic Type R's engines are hand built and hand ported and polished :D

Originally posted by IBBAKAGEN
Actually Integra Type R's and Civic Type R's engines are hand built and hand ported and polished :D

Ummm, the previous post to this is talking about the entire car being hand built, not just the engines..

The S2000 is rolled/cradled around on a carriage, and goes to the different assembly stations where the white suited assembly line personnel work on them
790-640x480.jpg
922-640x480.png

Originally posted by Turbo Dan Man
Now im not big on ricers .. but i have to admit i think this one would be fun to drive on i-95 when you can get them high RPMs and feel it move .. and the handling is suppose to be suppurb.

dan
Dan, I suggest you contact someone down in FL and get a ride in a TTA. There's lotsa TTA's in FL and TX. If you ever come up to MI hit me up...you can drive. I'm unable to explain the completeness of the package. Think of what's the best of all worlds....torque, handeling, braking, speed = TTA.

My neighbor had an s2000, now he has a boxster s. He likes the boxster a lot more, says it feels a lot faster and he can go faster in 4th than his s200 could in (I can't remember if he said 5th or 6th). He also said it felt a lot faster 0-60.

I had my first ride in a S2000 (my cousins) a couple weeks ago and I must say that once the RPM's get above 6000 and the V-tec comes on, the car really livens up!:eek: Now the acceleration on the car was nothing to brag about but it sure did go from 50-100 in what seemed like no time at all. The short throws on the shifter at 9000 RPM really made the ride that much better. All in all the car is a very nice car but is made more for a road course rather than a drag strip. It handles very well since we took a pretty good turn (not too big) at 99mph and got very little tire squel, so I suggest not following one into any turns.

BY THE WAY, MY COUSIN SAID THE CAR HAS A 400LB. WEIGHT LIMIT!!!!!!! WHAT THE HE** IS THAT ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Hey all! I wouldn't call an S2000 rice really. Unless of course it was riced out. True an S is not going to be a match for a GN on the drag strip or even in casual stoplight drags. It's just not built for that. As far as the 9000rpm redline goes, so what? You always redline a car when you're racing, doesn't really matter where that redline is does it?

The car handles like a dream, has an excellent shifter and steering, and is generally a great car to "relieve stress". ;)

If any upstate NY turbo Buicks want to meet up some time let me know. I'd love to trade rides! I've never ridden in a TR before. I'm in the Rochester area.