????'s on how much boost w/ alcky

turbowidow

been playing with the car alot lately and boost keeps getting higher (26# after downpipe and powerplate install). i'm a little confused on how much you can run on different turbo's. do they run out of steam after so many #'s of boost or can you keep going up in boost. still have not been able to nail down the exact size of this turbo but i'm thinking it is a 49 or 44 w/.63inlet and .82 exhaust. trying to get 02's in line and need to know if boost can still be turned up or if i need to go after trimming fuel ( 02's look like they are in high 800's-low 900's)

You have an efficiency issue to deal with. Same applies to non-alky. Tho becuase of the cooling effects, you can get a little more. One thing is that not always turning up boost=more power. Case in point is the stock turbo. You can yank the hose off of the WG and hit 30 PSI.. doesnt mean it will make the same power as a 70 turbo at 30 PSI.

Yeah I know your thinking.. boost is boost. But it doesnt work like that.

Now if its a small turbo, keep the boost reasonable at lets say 25 PSI, then start trimming fuel to lean it out and make power. Once you hit your lean threshold.. add timing.. back and forth till you've maximized your combination. Then add a lb of boost.. see if it goes faster? But running the car pig rich high 800's.. is not going to make it any faster. Targets in the mid 700's is typical.

The TA49 is a stock appearing turbo with a bellmouth, the TE44 typically has an a/r 60 compressor cover with no bellmouth

You can have a TA44.. but that would be rare. Stock appearing vs non stock appearing.

HTH

thanks once again razor! the alky cooling aspect was what had me wondering about max boost for a given turbo size. i do understand that a turbo can only put out so much cfm, was just wondering if that gets skewed by alky at all? i will probably wait till eric's chip shows up before playing with the car any more. razor, i see a phone number in your sig, would it be o.k. to call w/questions @ that number, is thier a good time to call? i really need to i.d. this turbo so i can get a better handle on tuning for wot!