S/C Bearings on 1993 3800

Race Lutz

I have a good friend who has a very sweet '93 S/C Park Ave Ultra. About 93,000 miles. He says that the S/C bearings are starting to make noise.

Is this a dealer only fix, or can a competent garage do it? What about bearing prices and availability? Are they dealer only or does NAPA and the like have them?

TIA........

it isnt the bearings it's the coupler zzperformance,intense racing and thrasher performance would have them couple hours to replace.

As was posted above it's more than likely the coupler that has gone out. When mine went out it, it sounded like tumbling rocks in the S/C snout. The cost is usually about $30, and it takes 1-2 hours to replace. It's simple enough to do in your own garage. Don't have him take it to the dealer, because they don't replace certain parts of the blower, but will want to replace the whole unit. Good luck, I know your buddy has a M62 unit and not the M90 like the one on the 3800 Series II, but I'm fairly certain it's the same part.

Its the same part for the series one and series 2 supercharger, the coupler that is if its the series one it is much easier to take the supercharger right off the car to make the repair. When you replace the supercharger gasket make sure you get the two yellow orings were the coolant flows through. Im a memeber of this site pontiacbonnevilleclub.com, theres alot of info around there heres a link to a supercharger page by the owner of the bonneville site, lots of good reading info

3800 Supercharger

Thanks for the information, guys. I sent him a link to this thread on this website. Now it is up to him.

Good information!!!!